We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A good restaurant, for food, service and value?

Which Fort William hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
A good restaurant, for food, service and value?

Having flicked through trip advisor I can't see any decent food places for dinner that don't either require a bank loan or give you food poisoning. There really must be somewhere in between, where do the locals go for a nice meal. I don't want hotel dining and I don't want McDonald's, just good food and a realistic price tag £20 - £30 a head. Please your suggestions are welcome.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,663 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A good restaurant, for food, service and value?

Have you looked at Crannog?- I have not been but friends who travel through Fort William on a regular basis have talked about it as being rather nice

www.crannog.net

There is also The Lime Tree in Auchintore Road which gets good reviews

www.limetreefortwilliam.co.uk

Not sure about the costs - one man's good value is another man's bank loan!

Woody x

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,509 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A good restaurant, for food, service and value?

I've eaten at the Crannog and it was good - it is in a lovely position overlooking the sea. The emphasis is on fish, not surprisingly.

Don't know about the Lime Tree, but it's well reviewed here on TA.

Scotland
Level Contributor
86 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A good restaurant, for food, service and value?

Depends on your definition of value!

Crannog - very good and excellent location, though not cheap. Having said that, their 2 course lunch for £9.99 is brilliant value.

Lime Tree - seems to be a bit Marmite (some love it, some hate it!)

Ben Nevis Inn - great if you want something more relaxed.

Further afield :

Russells in Spean Bridge is very good, though at the top of your budget

Loch Leven Seafood - rustic but the best seafood

Holly Tree Hotel - stunning views, excellent menu all round

Scotland
Level Contributor
86 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A good restaurant, for food, service and value?

Thought of another one! The Moorings Hotel has both reasonably priced bar food and a rosette-rated restaurant. It's a couple of miles out of the town centre at Banavie, on the banks of the Caledonian Canal/Neptune's Staircase.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A good restaurant, for food, service and value?

To be honest you wont find value in Fort William. Having worked several days a week here for the last year I have not found a restaurant to be of a standard matching the cost of the meal. Expect to pay about £10+ for a burger, or pasta dish in a common of garden gastropub here - £9.50 for a Penne Arrabiata in The Stables beggars belief!!

I've eaten in Cobbs, The Stables, The Grogg and Gruel, The Ben Nevis Inn (arguably the worst experience as my partner got mild food poisoning from their £10 fish and chips), The Jack (Ben Nevis Bar), Number 4, The Stables (worst value for money of the lot) and at every place I've felt robbed. The standard of food is good at best in some of these places but you will be paying 25% more than you would in Glasgow, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, or even any other small town in Scotland for a lower standard of meal.

Edited: 27 July 2010, 11:37
Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A good restaurant, for food, service and value?

You could have a starter and a main course at Crannog for about £25 or have three courses for £30 before drinks. The standard of the food is great, so that's good value, as good fresh fish is not cheap anywhere. And yes, the lunch menu looks like amazing value.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A good restaurant, for food, service and value?

The only place in town you can get value and quality, shame I don't like fish.

I tell a lie though, you can get value for money in Morrisons cafe..

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A good restaurant, for food, service and value?

Compare Cranog with Cafe Gandolfi Glasgow, an award winning sea food restaurant. No real difference in price http://www.cafegandolfi.com/

Edited: 28 July 2010, 11:11
9. Re: A good restaurant, for food, service and value?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2011, 05:15