We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to entertain myself in and around Fort William?

Which Fort William hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
210 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
How to entertain myself in and around Fort William?

We will be at Fort William next week. One of the days we are there my husband will be hiring a bike to do some mountain biking. This isn't really my thing so I will need something to entertain myself while he isn't there!

I'm not sure if I will have the car so preferably nothing out of walking distance (we are staying at Myrtle bank guest house) or somewhere with good public transport links.

I don't mind walking but not somewhere I will be completely alone.

How big is the high street? Is there much shopping to be done?!

Scotland
Level Contributor
86 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to entertain myself in and around Fort William?

Well, where shall we start? The shops, to be fair, won't keep you occupied all day, but are within walking distance from Myrtle Bank. If you want some gentle walking, try Glen Nevis (you can get a bus from the station if you don't have the car) or the first leg of the Great Glen Way. If hubby is biking at Nevis Range, there are lots of walking routes around there, plus the gondola to take you up the mountain and their new high ropes courses. The Road to the Isles, from Fort William to Mallaig, is unmissable either on the steam train, regular train, guided tour (try Timberbush Tours) or car.

My personal favourite is the Parallel Roads at Roy Bridge but you may feel a bit isolated there as you are likely to be on your own (though it's very safe). Cille Choirill Church is also near by (very picturesque and old) and you could take the back road back to Fort William, taking in the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge, Cia Aig Falls/Dark Mile towards Loch Arkaig and Neptune's Staircase at Banavie.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to entertain myself in and around Fort William?

Hi

I agree with Missymoo - the shops will not keep you busy all day. If you have a car to get to the head of Glen Nevis the walk to Steall waterfall is lovely and you won't be on your own. The same goes for the Nevis range - great views on a good day from the gondola.

Last time I was there I think there were boat trips so that is another option.

Also taking the train to Mallaig and back with a stop there for lunch gives really good views and a good day out.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to entertain myself in and around Fort William?

A couple of years ago while touring in the Fort William area we came across an excellent gemstone exhibition called "Treasures of the Earth" in the village of Corpach which is only a few miles from Fort William on the Mallaig road. This exhibition is the largest collection of gemstones in Europe and well worth the visit.

http://www.discover-fortwilliam.com/tofe.htm

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to entertain myself in and around Fort William?

You might want to look into what day tours are available from Fort William. I am sure that there are companies that offer some. A simple google of Day Tours Fort William brought up some suggestions. Then maybe ask about specific tours on the forum. I've liked day tours on trips to a limited extent. ; ) Pam

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
210 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to entertain myself in and around Fort William?

Thanks very much everyone - plenty of ideas to consider :)

6. Re: How to entertain myself in and around Fort William?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2011, 06:17