We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ft. William, Scotland - Warning

Snohomish...
3 posts
Save Topic
Ft. William, Scotland - Warning

We (husband, wife, daughter from Washington State) visited Ft. William the summer of 2010. We enjoyed the train trip to the town and our visit.

One of the days during our stay we rented a car to drive to Loch Ness. We returned the car with a full tank of gas and undamaged. Imagine our shock to find an 800usd charge against our credit card for damage and fuel. We fought against the charges, but the credit card company would only refund the 30usd fuel portion. We got stuck with the rest.

Our big mistake was doing an after hours return. We'll never do that again. That allowed the thieves at EasyDrive Car and Van Rental to rob us.

MY RECOMMENDATIONS:

NEVER DO AN AFTER HOURS RETURN OF A RENTAL CAR.

NEVER RENT FROM EASY DRIVE CAR AND VAN RENTAL IN FT. WILLIAMS, SCOTLAND.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ft. William, Scotland - Warning

What?? - rubbish, the OP is obviously upset and I certainly don't read it as an "uncalled for attack on Ft William". Yes, it might have been worded a bit better but to report this is plain crazy. Aren't you being somewhat hyper-sensitive GEJP?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ft. William, Scotland - Warning

I'm not a fan of reporting threads like this. Let it stand. All will become clear once read and it does have useful information despite the contentious title which was clearly not meant as a slight to fort william itself. We live and learn.

Fort William...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Ft. William, Scotland - Warning

I would like to put forward the point of view from Easydrive.

Indeed this is an issue that happens everyday in rental companies, some certainly do take advantage but this case we as a small team did the best we could with the situation that presented us.

The car was found in the morning to have new damage and required new parts and was off the road for over two weeks. It was unfortunate that the customer did not have a contact number in the UK to get in touch. It is and was a difficult situation for us as we wish no cars are ever damaged as you can imagine.

We charged the customer the appropriate insurance excess for their rental, which was the standard amount. The costs involved to finally resolve this problem were considerably higher than what was charged.The customer was offered additional insurance policies to reduce these high liabilities but declined.

The customer did dispute this with their bank but we did have all the necessary invoices that complied with the dates to show that these parts were ordered. Furthermore our explanation of the situation and paper work we provided to the bank were sufficient and they did support us in the dispute.

I would encourage you to consider and hopefully use Easydrive, we are a family company of 17 years built up from 2 cars to now over 100. Indeed we do have a very good record among visitors, locals and local authorities.

It is true many will feel discouraged by this view but I would encourage anyone to contact us personally and we will provide you with any information to ease any worries your may have.

Finally; I do not wish for this to turn into a debate, I felt it was important for my company to explain the situation.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Many Thanks

Kim Boa (Rental Manager @ Easydrive Car and Van Rental)

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,436 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ft. William, Scotland - Warning

Always two sides to any story.

15. Re: Ft. William, Scotland - Warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2011, 07:50