We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to base ourselves in late September?

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to base ourselves in late September?

We'd like to see something of the southern highlands in late September. We're seeking a base that we can use for 4 or 5 days of sightseeing and short walks before we head to Edinburgh. The Isles are not necessarily on our list, so being close to the coast isn't a must.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,802 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to base ourselves in late September?

Pitlochry and Dunkeld spring to mind. Both small towns with lots of accommodation with beautiful scnery and lots to see.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to base ourselves in late September?

Thank you so much, goodwitch. We had been looking at Callander or Killin, but Dunkeld looks much more like what we need. Greatly appreciated!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,802 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to base ourselves in late September?

Callander and Pitlochry are both quite 'touristy' with lots of shops and restaurants. Killin is pretty but very small. I like Dunkeld. It's in a beautiful area with lots of walks and it has a good folk music scene. I don't know if there will be anything on during your visit. What are your dates?

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to base ourselves in late September?

We're currently have 5 days to spend in rural Scotland, from 21 to 26 September, before we head to Edinburgh. Of course, the big question is whether we shouldn't be trying to get up into the north-west highlands, but I'm concerned about the weather at this time of year. That's largely why we're thinking about concentrating on Perthshire and the southern areas. Are we missing out on a big opportunity by doing this?

Abernethy
Level Contributor
11 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to base ourselves in late September?

You are missing nothing by not going way up north.

If you use Dunkeld as the centre within a 1 hour radius you have everything..

Perthshire is the most beautiful county and yst close to everything. You are close to the Trossacks, the beautiful Glens, ect ect

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,802 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to base ourselves in late September?

The weather in September is likely to be reasonable. We often go to the north west at that time.

The scenery is quite different in the north west.

Not 'better' but different.

The Dunkeld area has lower hills but is greener, has more trees and more inthe way of tobvious tourist attractions.

The north west is grander, more rugged and is a lot emptier

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to base ourselves in late September?

Thank you both: this is very, very helpful.

8. Re: Best place to base ourselves in late September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 March 2012, 06:35
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to base ourselves in late September?

>>You are missing nothing by not going way up north.

Hrrumph. Don't agree. Torridon is GOOD as are the areas N and S of it. But you'd probably use 2 1/2 days travelling to get there and back; I don't know if that matters.

September isn't quite as warm as August, but is usually not quite so rainy in the West. But it's all pot-luck obviously. I always reckon on September as a good month to get away.

I'd agree that locations like Dunkeld are good; but if you have the NW in mind don't be put off.

Edited: 31 March 2012, 00:45
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to base ourselves in late September?

I was worried because you're posting on the Fort William forum, because I wouldn't at all recommend it as a place to base yourself, even though there's lots to do round about.