We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ben Nevis trip, accomodation suggestions?

Which Fort William hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ben Nevis trip, accomodation suggestions?

Hi all,

It is my girlfriends 30th end of Oct and we are climbing Nevis. Having never been up that way I was wondering if anyone has any idea of a good place to stay? I have heard that Fort William itself is not so nice (hope that doesn't offend anyone!) but maybe I am wrong hence asking a question on here! We will probably have a car, getting the sleeper train up from London and spending 3nights in Scotland.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Phil.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ben Nevis trip, accomodation suggestions?

FW is not a tourist destination really, but it's exactly the place to be if you want to go climbing or skiing mountains.

The 'usual' walk starts in Glen Nevis, and therefore the minimum-hassle places would be nearby. There's a SYHA; there's a B&B and a bunkhouse at Achintee where the walk starts.

There are B&Bs near Nevis Bridge (North of the town centre) which are within 2 km of the start. I Can't vote for any one in particular because I don't use them - if up that way I'm usually off in the wilds.

There are loads of hotels and B&Bs either in the centre or south of the town; the Ben being less handy the further south you stay.

At the end of October there could be snow on top of the Ben. Snow right on the very top isn't a big deal because it's relatively flat; snow on the zig zags above the red burn could be scary unless you're properly equipped: it becomes a winter trip.

walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/bennevis.sht… for advice and a map.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ben Nevis trip, accomodation suggestions?

My husband and I did a similar trip a few years ago and stayed at The Clachaig Inn in Glencoe which is about 18 miles from Fort William.

The Inn itself is fantastic, the room size was fairly small but they put on a brilliant breakfast and have a nice pub style restaurant for evening meals. There are also a couple of bars, one of which regularly has live music.

It is also in a stunning location, Glencoe is one of the most picturesque places in Scotland.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ben Nevis trip, accomodation suggestions?

Glencoe: sorry, departed_scot, but the poster is arriving by train and it's not very handy for a Ben Nevis walk :-)

Ocean Shores...
Level Contributor
304 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ben Nevis trip, accomodation suggestions?

We have booked an efficiency and a 2 bed room self cater near the bridge in the north part of Ft Wm. We are doing a 4 night stay, and pretty sure they would do 3. The price was competitive and had decent reviews here on TA. It was called "Glenlochy Apartments"

Rvflyer

5. Re: Ben Nevis trip, accomodation suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2013, 10:18