We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jacobite Steam Train

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
41 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Jacobite Steam Train

Notice there are both "1st" and coach classes on the Jacobite Steam Train. We're hoping to do a one day return this June - is there a significant advantage to purchasing 1st Class tickets? There are four of us.

Thanks.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Jacobite Steam Train

I suspect you'd want a discount if someone suggested a vintage car for a wedding as it would be uncomfortable and would probably jolt around a bit.

12. Re: Jacobite Steam Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 February 2013, 09:35
Fort William...
Level Contributor
34 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Jacobite Steam Train

I live about 100m from Locheilside sattion so I know and love the Hogwarts (sorry, Jacobite) Express as it passes every day in summer.

The choice is really very simple. You can take the Scotrail train with a more frequent service and the same views for a lot less cost, if that's all you want. However, if you want excitement, atmosphere and experience then the steam train is what you need. First class (from sitting there) is comfortable and spacious with tea and scones and you can even order champagne (at the time of booking, I think). Standard class is a bit more crowded and cramped with not such comfortable seats, but the view are the same. It's probably better to be in standard class with children and first class for adults.

There isn't much time to do anything in Glenfinnan except look around the station and photograph the train, so if you want sightseeing then a car is better or hopping on and off Scotrail trains.. Mallaig is not the most picturesque of towns so you can only really have lunch and visit the tourist shops before looking at the harbour / pier. It'll be raining anyway.

In summary, it's a great day out on the steam train but costs a fair bit. If all you want is to see the scenery without the experience, then you can save a bit of money. You pay for what you get.

Level Contributor
3,425 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Jacobite Steam Train

I suspect you'd want a discount if someone suggested a vintage car for a wedding as it would be uncomfortable and would probably jolt around a bit.

---

An irrelevant comparison. That car is about the image when you arrive. The train journey to Mallaig is about the views. Which dont change even if you pay 3 times the price.

Fort William...
Level Contributor
34 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Jacobite Steam Train

The steam train to Mallaig is about much more than the views. It's about sitting in comfort, the motion of old heavy carriages, the excitement of the other passengers, the sound, the experience.

It's like the difference betweek a 20" black and white TV and a 46" HD 3D colour TV with surround sound. The same view, but a very, very different experience.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
627 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Jacobite Steam Train

The train journey to Mallaig is about the views.

No its not!

Yes it Is!

No its not!

ad infinitum :)

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Jacobite Steam Train

Some people like steam trains. They would like the Jacobite.

Some people commute to train every day on a train, and the Scotrail train may remind them of this ; the Jacobite provides a different experience.

Some people like the cheapest option, and some prefer modern diesels over smoky steam trains. These people may prefer the Scotrail service.

Happily we don't all like the same thing. I cna get pie & chips in the chip shop for about £2.50. Sometimes I like to eat pie & chips in the pub where it costs at least three times as much, but the experience is rather different.

Phew.

Edited: 27 February 2013, 14:52
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Jacobite Steam Train

GEJP, please calm down, I'm worried about your blood pressure. Sometimes evangelists have to realise they're not going to convert the unconvertible ...

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
227 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Jacobite Steam Train

Done the steam train last year whilst I enjoyed it felt that it was not value for money.Next time normal service train for me

Level Contributor
3,425 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Jacobite Steam Train

18. I'm perfectly calm, I'm also sad some posters seem intent on trying to get tourists to pay vast sums of money when a better, cheaper alternative exists.