We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highlands itinerary.Which scenic walks/restuarants? May 2013

Which Fort William hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Royal Tunbridge...
2 posts
Save Topic
Highlands itinerary.Which scenic walks/restuarants? May 2013

Hi

I am planning a trip to Scottland, my troupe consists of 2 senior family members (above 65 years of age), a young toddler (1.5 years) and 3 middle aged adults. We are not hiring a car.

The itinerary is as follows

Day 1: Arrive at Edinburgh airport in the morning. Enjoy Edinburgh tour by bus and foot at comfortable pace.

Day 2: Travel by train to Glasgow in the morning. Meeting up with some friends who live in Hamilton near Glasgow. Take the afternoon train to Fort William. I am told this is a scenic train journey. Stay at The Highlands Hotel ( tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186545-d2779… )

Day 3: Take the train from Fort Williams to Mallaig. Get down at one of the stations on the way and do a 2 hour walk, maybe at Glenfinnan. Then continue with the train journey, see the sunset at Arisaig, and travel back to Fort Williams by train

Day 4: Take the personal tour from ( www.1daytours.co.uk/loch-ness-tours.html ) and go to Glencoe. Have lunch at The Kings House Hotel. Return back to Fort Williams.

Day 5: ?????? In the night take the train back to Glasgow airport

Our main objective is to see the best possible scenary of the highlands on day 3, 4 and 5 through manageable normal gradient 2-3 hour strolls particularly because of the age of the people in the party. We don't want to rush things. PLEASE SUGGEST SUCH BREATHTAKING WALKS IN THIS AREA.

We also prefer lunches at spectacular locations something like having food in the middle of paradise kind of scenary. CAN YOU ALSO SUGGEST SUCH RESTUARANTS PLEASE.

My only other concern is that with the 1daytours on day 4 if we get enough time to spend in the Glencoe region ourselves or not, because we have to be at the driver's timetable. I was wondering if there is another way of experiencing the region?

Rajesh

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,245 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highlands itinerary.Which scenic walks/restuarants? May 2013

Have a look at this site for walking information in the area http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/ It has information about walking difficulty

I'm not convinced that your plan for the Fort William/ Mallaig day will work out with the train timetable. Check here scotrail.co.uk/timetables-routes/…winter The last train back from Mallaig leaves at 18.15 and sunset in May won't be until about 9 or 9.30pm. Also be aware that most train tickets do not allow you to hop off then hop on again. You would need to buy individual tickets for the parts of the journey which are broken up.

On your private tour- I presume that you can discuss with the driver your preferences as to where you go and how long you stop. With a young child you need to plan for regular breaks in the journey for them to get out and run about otherwise they will get very restless and bored in the car all day.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highlands itinerary.Which scenic walks/restuarants? May 2013

Hi, In April, I'm visiting the same places that you are, and I plan on doing some walking (I'm 60). I'll post a trip report when I return.

I'm using the walkhighlands website (mentioned by 3nations), and find it very helpful.

@ Day 3 - Would it be possible to rent a vehicle in Fort William, just for the day?

Hope you have a great trip!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highlands itinerary.Which scenic walks/restuarants? May 2013

You're reliant on buses or taxis in order to get to various walking destinations. One good walk, not really accessible by public transport, is Steall Falls, at the very end of Glen Nevis. It's certainly within the length/time you specify, involves a little uphill along the banks of a himalayan-looking mountain stream - and the meadows near Steall, and the waterfall, and the rope bridge to the Cottage are stunning. Rope bridge not compulsory :-)

Should be accessible to someone of average fitness who is decently shod. See walkhighlands and look at the pictures and decide for yourself. I'm in my sixties and I wouldn't worry about it.

If you intend to stop a while at Arisaig there are a coule of possiblilities. One being to walk the coast northwards to Morar - the beauty of the white sands ... or there's a potter from Morar inland to Loch Morar. Hidden from the road, this Loch is second in size to Loch Ness, and is framed by spectacular mountains to the North and East.

Or you could abandon plans to return the same night, allowing more flexibiity over Arisaig/Morar/Mallaig.

I don't know if you're using it but undiscoveredscotland also has a wealth of information

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/morar/…index.html

Royal Tunbridge...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Highlands itinerary.Which scenic walks/restuarants? May 2013

Very true, the train timings won't work. Thanks for the walkhighlands site found it very useful. Derek - thanks for suggesting Steall Falls, I am definitely including the walk now. Trintraveler - please do post your experience, I will be looking forward to it. No car hire on day 3 is possible, I wish I could.

Based on your info my plan has changed.

Day 2: After meeting the friends in Glasgow we want to get the train to Fort Williams reaching 16:09, then after checking in the hotel we want to do the STEALL FALLS. Is this doable? The highlands website says 2 hrs for this walk so I hope it is, but I do want to get back before it gets dark.

Day 3: Taxi to Morar early morning. Do the 3 hours walk ( walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/morar-tarbet… ) . I have asked the group if they are up for it if I give them 7 hrs for the walk to Tarbet (so start the walk from Morar at 8:30 am) incl time for a picnic on the walk. Well I have received positive reply from the team :-) but do you guys think it is feasible with the age group. I have to let the ferry guys know that they need to pick us from Tarbet. At the end of the day we take the train to Fort Williams.

Day 4: I have booked Lochaber taxi for a 8 hour trip starting from our hotel in Fort Williams to Glasgow airport ( 9 am - 5 pm) for £330. Do you think its reasonable? The driver will show us around the Glencoe and Oban region at our own pace (stops, break, lunch etc)

Thanks

Rajesh

5. Re: Highlands itinerary.Which scenic walks/restuarants? May 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 04:15