We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on Ft William to Skye

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
246 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback on Ft William to Skye

Hello,

I'm planning my Scotland road trip for the end of May. After spending the night in Oban, I'll be driving to Ft William (I already figured out that route). The third leg of the trip involves driving from Ft William to Carbost in Skye where I already reserved my accommodations.

I want the drive to be the highlight of the trip so I'm planning to drive each leg through beautiful scenery with quick stops along the way for photo ops / short walks.

This is what I came up with for this third leg:

http://goo.gl/maps/pXsZM

The idea is to leave Ft William and take a longer drive by Loch Sunart and then see Castle Tioram. Take a detour to take some photos of the Glenfinnan viaduct (if time allows, not sure about the times for the ferry to Skye yet). Drive to Mallaig, get on the ferry to Skye then take a quick detour to Elgol to see the view of the Cuillins. From there, drive to Carbost and spend the night.

Does this make sense (especially with trying to work the ferry around these plans)?

The following couple of days will be spent in Skye, I have some routes in mind that I will probably post in the Skye forums.

Thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
246 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Feedback on Ft William to Skye

I apologize for reviving this thread but based on the suggestions here I've been thinking about the Lake Coruisk boat trip from Elgol and how I should make it a priority as it's one of the highlights of Skye.

The original plan was to take the longer route to Mallaig in time for the ferry to take me to Skye then get on the late 5:30pm ride which is a 1 1/2 hr tour that takes you close to the Lake from Elgol but you can't get off the boat and explore the lake.

From what I read the 3 hr tour is the thing to do, where you can walk around the lake and enjoy the scenery. The tour starts at 2:15 pm so I would have to catch the 12:20 ferry from Mallaig to Skye, taking the direct route from Ft William (A830). Besides Glenfinnan, what else can I fit that morning that would give me enough time to catch the ferry? Would love to take a detour and see Tioram Castle but would I have time?

Thanks!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Feedback on Ft William to Skye

The route from Fort WIlliam to Mallaig would take an hour, maybe allow 2 hours to include delays, and waiting time for the Ferry. The obvious stopping points are Arisaig for its beaches and views to the West, or Morar - more beaches, and Loch Morar to its immediate rear.

The easiest way to visit Castle Tioram and Acharacle would be to turn off the A830 at Lochailort, drive south, and return back to Lochailort. Add an hour at least for driving, (30 mins each way) plus visiting time.

That's quite a lot if you intend to get the 1220 ferry. You'd have to start sharp in the morning.

PS Scotland is not without lakes but most of them are called Lochs :-)

Edited: 23 April 2013, 04:53
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,803 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Feedback on Ft William to Skye

I've seen your other post and I would pick a trip to Elgol over the Coral Beaches, Dunvegan Castle and Neist Point if scenery's your thing. A boat trip out to Loch Coruisk would be the icing on the cake. YOu won't have time to walk around the loch in the short stop there but youcan get far enough that you'll experience the grandeur of the area.

If you're into wildlife this is the place to see seals

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Feedback on Ft William to Skye

I agree with the goodwitch. If you're into rock scenery you cannot afford to miss loch Coruisk. You could however take a chance on it and leave the decision until the weather forecast is known [not that you can ever trust a forecast in mountainous places such as Skye!]

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
246 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Feedback on Ft William to Skye

Goodwitch, the trip to Elgol will definitely happen.

The question is what to leave out, if I take the trip the same day that I cross the Ferry, then it means I'll be leaving out the longer drive to Mallaig from Ft William as described originally so I won't get to see Castle Tioram and drive by Moidart and Sunart.

If I decide to go on the boat trip the following day, i'll be leaving out Neist Point, Coral Beaches and Dunvegan Castle.

Tough decision!

Derek, I read here that I should reserve the ferry to Skye in advance -- I assume the same goes for the boat trip to Loch (see, I learned!) Coruisk. If that's the case, I can't wait til the day of (?)

Edited: 24 April 2013, 01:07
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,803 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Feedback on Ft William to Skye

You should reserve the boat trip but there are two companies running. The Bella Jane and the Misty Isle. I'd ring one of them a day or two in advance if the weather looks reasonable and book

17. Re: Feedback on Ft William to Skye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 05:17