We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

glasgow to GlenEagles

Fairfax, Virginia
10 posts
Save Topic
glasgow to GlenEagles

My family and I are traveling between Glasgow and the GlenEagles hotel. We are looking for a suggestion of a beautiful spot/town to stopover along the way. We were thinking Glencoe or a train trip from Fort William to Mallaig. We have a full day and one night to spend touring on our way to the GlenEagles. Please Advise.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: glasgow to GlenEagles

hmm you realise they are only 45 mins apart?

Glen Coe is a great option, approached via Loch Lomond and you can head back via Highland Perthshire to Crieff. Gleneagles is only 10 miles from there. Its a bit of driving but split over a day and night, totally manageable giving you time to stop and admire the sights. You could either stay in the Glen or find somewhere in Lochearnhead, St Fillans etc for some lochside lodging.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,048 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: glasgow to GlenEagles

Why not just stop off in Stirling on the way. See the castle etc. Glen Coe is a hefty detour to get to Gleneagles Hotel especially by public transport.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: glasgow to GlenEagles

I didn't read this as being done by public transport Ronaldo. If thats the case then forget GC and go for Stirling.

Fairfax, Virginia
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: glasgow to GlenEagles

Not public transport. We have rented a car. The detour was purposeful (to see more sights) we are spending much more scripted time in Edinburgh, and Mull also, but had a day plus between to just wing it.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: glasgow to GlenEagles

Yes, the direct route is Glasgow - Stirling - Gleneagles, but that's a pretty boring route to drive, being a mix of motorway and fast road. Head down, see nothing, 2 hrs.

There are routes north then east in ever increasing circles. Some combination might suit

Glasgow - Loch Lomond - Trossachs - Stirling - Gleneagles

Glasgow - Loch Lomond - Crianlarach - Stirling - Gleneagles

Glasgow - Loch Lomond - Crianlarach - Lochearnhead - Crieff - Gleneagles

Glasgow - Loch Lomond - Crianlarach - Glencoe - Fort William - Spean Bridge - Dalwhinnie - Perth - Gleneagles.

Glasgow - Loch Lomond - Crianlarach - Glencoe - Fort William - Spean Bridge - Inverness - Aviemore - Dalwhinnie - Perth - Gleneagles

Train: Glasgow - Loch Lomond - Crianlarach - Glencoe - Fort William - Mallaig (and return the way you cam next day)

Mostly train: Glasgow - Loch Lomond - Crianlarach - glencoe - Fort William - Mallaig - ferry to Skye - Kyle of Lochalsh - Inverness - Perth; then bus/car/whatever to Gleneagles.

I'm just going through the mechanics rather than recommending a route ...

Why not look up http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ which has lots of info about places to visit area by area?

As the distances get longer this becomes all travel and no stopping to smell the daisies. I don't want to judge how much driving or train-riding you're happy to do.

6. Re: glasgow to GlenEagles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 05:18