We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midges

nottingham
Level Contributor
28 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Midges

Thinking of staying for a week mid August. How bad are the midges

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,259 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midges

In the immortal words of Michael Jackson

They're bad, so bad you know it, so bad!...sorry couldn't resist that! Calm conditions, near trees, mild weather you may get midgies early morning and evening, so if it's cold, wet and windy you should be fine. Don't change your plans, plenty of people cope, you'll be fine

Woody x

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Midges

Woody is right!

Or you could take up pipe smoking - that worked for my grandfather - and people sitting near him :)

They haven't put me off heading for the scottish outdoors though - a wee breeze (over 2 mph) and you are fine. In the worst case you can buy midge jackets.. But avoid camping in quiet areas under trees or you could be eaten alive...

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,901 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Midges

I agree with the above advice, though in my experience the wind has to be a tad more than 2 mph to keep the little blighters away!

No 2 refers to midge jackets, but I think that means nets - you pull them over your head. Useful if you're desperate!

Level Contributor
74 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Midges

If the conditions are right they could pick you up and carry you away. I once spent a great evening in the hotel at Rowardennan sharing remedies drinkers in the bar. Beer was the best.

Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Midges

We have been going fishing in the Highlands and Skye for many years, usually in June, July or August. Every year we go prepared, often bringing in the big guns, DEET.

As Miles said, these buggars when well organized can carry you away. Funny thing though, some years we hardly noticed them at all and other times they have been absolutely horrible. But, as others have said, not a reason to not go.

Like with other flying pests, they seem to find you by your breathing-exhaling carbon. So, if you are doing a strenuous activity and the conditions are right LOOK OUT! Fortunately for us, many of the places we fish there always seems to be a good breeze which grounds them. In maybe the past 10 years we only had to use our head nets once or twice but let me tell you, had we not had them we would not be here today.

IMO I would not recommend camping, although many people do it.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,839 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Midges

I wonder why no one has mentioned Avon Skin so Soft which I understand is still available up there. My Scotish friend who lives by a stream swears it's the only thing.

I'm sure someone will tell me.

nottingham
Level Contributor
28 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Midges

Thank you think we will give it a go

nottingham
Level Contributor
28 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Midges

Thanks for the advice

Level Contributor
74 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Midges

Avon Skin So Soft was one of the remedies being passed around in the Rowardennan Hotel that evening. Apparently as used by the British Army! I did hear that it was being withdrawn from sale but not being a regular user of beauty products I couldn't say if that is correct.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Midges

We've used the Avon product and it seems to work. I've heard that the armed forces based in Scotland buy it in bulk, but that may just be an urban myth. A good breeze is, as already said, very effective at keeping midges at bay. In the summer months there's a website telling you how bad they are in each area so day by day you can make your plans as needed to avoid the worst. Midgewatch or similar, just google it and you'll find it. Goes live in about May or June.

Angie