We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birmingham to Ben Nevis

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Birmingham to Ben Nevis

I have decided I want to climb Ben Nevis this year.

My initial thoughts are to get plane from birmingham to Glasgow then hire a car and stay for 1 week in fort william in a self catering property.I can see that there are companies that I can book a guide either to take us up Ben Nevis, which I will book.

However some websites indicate Inverness airport is best.

Does anyone know whether we are best to fly to Glasgow or Inverness?

Is fort William a good place to stay for activities.

I would like to hire bicycles for 1 day, any recommendations on this also welcome.

Appreciate any guidance whilst I wait for my map and brochures to arrive.

Internet is great but can drown in info.

:-)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birmingham to Ben Nevis

Both airports have their pros and cons. What's important to you? Price, convenience, etc? Consider the wonderful train trip.....

Ft William is an activity centre.

Hire bikes.

I won't drown you in info..........

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birmingham to Ben Nevis

Not much difference where you fly to time wise imo. Glasgow to Ft William is the more scenic drive a it takes you up the side of Loch Lomond and through Glencoe - Coming out of Glasgow airport it's easy to get onto the route northwards. Inverness to Ft William is down the side of Loch Ness, but surprisingly that's generally less scenic. I suspect Glasgow apt will have the cheaper flights and hire cars, given its much bigger than Inverness, but worth comparing both.

Don't know about Ben Nevis itself, along time since I went up it!

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birmingham to Ben Nevis

One would imagine energy retention is the secret to climbing a mountain such as this ? Flybe to Inverness and plan the travel onwards, and the climb, would be my advice.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
997 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birmingham to Ben Nevis

Consider taking the train. The West Highland Line (from Glasgow Queen Street to Fort William and on to Mallaig) is very scenic. Fort William is at the foot of Ben Nevis. See www.scotrail.co.uk

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,631 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birmingham to Ben Nevis

I passed on Ben Nevis but can highly recommend the walk to Steall Falls at the end of Glen Nevis. I also had a wonderful day by taking the bus to Kinlochleven and then walking the last segment of the West Highland Way back to Fort William--the first couple of hours were particularly spectacular.

6. Re: Birmingham to Ben Nevis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2017, 13:00
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birmingham to Ben Nevis

Get the train. Once you get past Preston the rest of the journey is very scenic. Which you miss by flying or the long dull slog up the M6.

I'd reconsider the need for a guide its a pretty easy mountain to navigate and for any semi experienced walker is not really that hard compared to others

Edited: 19 January 2014, 13:22
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Birmingham to Ben Nevis

You don't really need a guide, because hundreds of people go up the Ben pretty much every day. I'm not quite saying you don't need to navigate, but almost all the route is pretty obvious: once upon a day it used to be a pony track, so it's a bit wider than a sheep track :-) and there will be a trail of people ahead of and behind you, unless the weather's really bad. [You do need decent boots and waterproofs - there are always loads of people in t-shirts and sandals who wonder why they're freezing when they get near the top]

There are all sorts of Outdoor pursuits in the area and companies in Fort William or nearby that will service them. Do a Google.

The train from Glasgow to Fort WIlliam is a renown tourist route: scenery well recommended. You could take the train, then get a car in FW, which then gives access to Glencoe to the South and Glenfinnan / MAillaig / Skye to the West. The only down-side is the train takes quite some time: if Preston - Glasgow takes 2 1/2 hours, Glasgow - Fort WIlliam takes nearer twice that. So plan a full day to get there.

This site describes the walking route well walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/bennevis.sht…

The same site lists loads of other walks in the area including the Steall Falls walk, mentioned earlier. It's only a couple of hours from the roadhead, but punches above its weight.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Birmingham to Ben Nevis

Thankyou everyone for the time you have taken to reply. It is much appreciated. Will now look at all the options in detail before I decide. Thankyou again.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Birmingham to Ben Nevis

I have had a wonderful holiday. I decided to fly to Inverness and drive from Inverness to fort William. On the drive from Inverness to fort William there are many parking places that you can pull into and admire the lake and mountain views.

I booked a guide to go up Ben nevis from abacus guides. As the weather turned for the worse on the way up I was so pleased I made this decision as I would not have made it without the encouragement.

Highly recommend fort William for outdoor holiday base.

:-)