We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caledonian Discovery, walking the Great Glen

galashiels
Level Contributor
63 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Caledonian Discovery, walking the Great Glen

Am thinking of walking the Great Glen this summer while sailing on the Fingal of Caledonia.

Has anyone been aboard? Would love to hear someone's first hand experience. Is the food good? Do they supply packed lunch when you are walking or do you go back on the barge at lunch time?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,684 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caledonian Discovery, walking the Great Glen

Ask them. I've booked up already for this summer, and assumed it's a packed lunch. I did, however, have a few queries about the itinerary, so I emailed and asked and got a very helpful response which covered all my queries.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,684 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caledonian Discovery, walking the Great Glen

Did you book? I'm on day 3 just now. We had a packed lunch yesterday, and lunch on board today. Apparently it's packed lunches for the remainder. The food has been excellent, and there is a good bar, too. You can buy a bottle of wine, and they put your name on it and keep it for the next meal :-)

Let me know if you need to know anything else.

galashiels
Level Contributor
63 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caledonian Discovery, walking the Great Glen

Thank you. No, I haven't booked for this year as I think we will now be in the midge season. Am looking at it for spring next year. Anne

Thirsk, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caledonian Discovery, walking the Great Glen

I walked the Great Glen last week and stayed on board " Fingal ". We were blessed with a week of fantastic weather which no doubt enhanced the walking experience. There are some undulations on the walk but nothing drastic. It goes without saying that in Scotland in June you should take appropriate precautions against the infamous midges. The cabins are compact but have everything you need. The 4 man crew were without exception fantastic as was the food on board. My fellow travellers were a varied and interesting bunch of people

5. Re: Caledonian Discovery, walking the Great Glen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 05:15