We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Flrt William in January without a car

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
211 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Flrt William in January without a car

We want to go on the sleeper train from London because we like the idea. The train terminates at Fort William. If we stay a couple of days is there things of interest in the town to keep us occupied befkre we make the return journeey.

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
18,028 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Things to do in Flrt William in January without a car

If you want to walk around and see things, go to Edinburgh, It's a great town with lots to see and do during the day, the castle, the museums, great history and lovely shops. At night cosy pubs and theatre shows also has a great transport system. The Highlands are seasonal and lots of things will be closed, it could be snowing and it will be dark around 3.30-400pm.

Fort William is an unattractive town, with walking, hiking and mountain climbing people visiting, not a good place to stay for two days, you can see it in 30 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
211 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Things to do in Flrt William in January without a car

Thanks for your knowledgeable responses. It has given me much food for thought.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
456 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Things to do in Flrt William in January without a car

Definitely go for it! The Highlands are spectacular in winter.I'm no fan of F.William but the journey is the thing.The Lime Tree gets good write ups though its on the main road.Plenty other lochside/roadside bungalows do B and B.Inverlochy Castle Hotel is a few miles up the road and worth a tea stop ( or stay if you're very flush).

Heading on to Mallaig next day is a great idea.Again, the journey is one of the world's finest.Mallaig isn't pretty as such, a bustling wee port and fishing harbour.But its the journey again and the ferry to Skye is there.And somehow I still enjoy it for its location and fishing/port buzz and wheeling gulls.

Mentioned in this post
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Things to do in Flrt William in January without a car

Mallaig itself is a small industrial fishing port which is trying to reinvent itself as a tourist diestination, there being more tourists than fish nowadays :-)

It's essentially a small bay, a couple of rows of houses, a couple of small hotels, and a seafood cafe/stall next to the pier, a stall I suspect only operates in Summer.

What is does have going for it, is seascape: the ferry across to Skye and back again has views of the best of the small isles of the inner Hebrides, and views up Loch Nevis to Sgurr na Ciche, probably with a good dusting of snow in mid-January. That's something like a couple of hours' round trip. Not sure about frequency of winter timetables though.

A lot of this is going to be weather dependent though.

Mentioned in this post
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
The Hebrides
The Hebrides
Scotland, UK
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Things to do in Flrt William in January without a car

I can understand the appeal of the train journey, but Fort William isn't the most lovely of places even when the sun shines on it. Basically little more than one street of shops, and not particularly up market shops at that if you get my drift. I think your options of things to do without transport in January will be severely limited.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Things to do in Flrt William in January without a car

In January, most of the visitors will be skiers, and a few will be winter mountaineers. So there will be venues open, and there will be a bit of apres-ski. But don't think that means Alpine-style apres-ski, it probably means a few pubs serving pints in the evenings.

And because skiers ski during the day, there won't be much doing in FW in the daytime. Though I'd be delighted to be proved wrong for your sake.

Spoken as a skier and mountaineer who has passed through FW on the way to Ben Nevis and elsewhere.

Mentioned in this post
Ben Nevis
Ben Nevis
1,888 Reviews
Fort William, UK
17. Re: Things to do in Flrt William in January without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2015, 05:16