We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyle of Lochalsh, Dorne and Plockton

Singapore
Level Contributor
301 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Kyle of Lochalsh, Dorne and Plockton

Would need advice if it is worth the time and effort to visit Dorne (after Eilean Donan Castle or to head back to Kyle of Lochalsh.

What is appropriate length of time to spend in Plockton. (I have a full morning till about 4 pm.) Thanks.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,515 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kyle of Lochalsh, Dorne and Plockton

With respect, I rather think you have a slight misconception about this part of Scotland. Most people visit for the scenery and what appeals to one may not appeal to another. So rather than a rigidly fixed timetable, some flexibility is desirable. There is very little to do in Dornie,but it is right by the castle so have a look and decide for yourself. But then there is little to do in Kyle of Lochalsh either, which is mainly a staging point on the way to Skye. Towns and villages are generally very small with basic facilities. This applies to Plockton as well. So taker it slowly and stop wherever you fancy.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,795 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kyle of Lochalsh, Dorne and Plockton

I think aardvark's reply should be put on a sticky or FAQ or whatever.

So true.....

Singapore
Level Contributor
301 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kyle of Lochalsh, Dorne and Plockton

Thanks. It is just that I am constrained by train and bus times, so flexbility would be compromised.

uk
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kyle of Lochalsh, Dorne and Plockton

Kyle of Lochalsh and Dornie have a great deal to offer as does Plockton.These delightful Villages are most certainly not a staging point for Skye. After the Castle you could stroll over to Dornie which is a pretty Village. Onwards to Plockton the 'Riveria of the Highlands', take in a boat trip. Take train or bus back to Kyle where there are some excellent Village shops to pick up some souvenirs of your Visit and whilst awaiting your Train at Kyle Station check out the Museum.! Enjoy

Singapore
Level Contributor
301 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kyle of Lochalsh, Dorne and Plockton

I did not go to Dorne eventually as the bus only stopped at the Castle for half an hour and it rained shortly. Plockton is a pleasant town to stay with beautiful scenery and good restaurants. I did not join the seal trip but did follow my host at the guesthouse on a scallop harvesting trip at Stromeferry. The train ride from Kyle to Stromeferry is stunning.

uk
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kyle of Lochalsh, Dorne and Plockton

Wow that sounds excellent!

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kyle of Lochalsh, Dorne and Plockton

KTeo-did you stay a night in Plockton ? if so where did you stay ? as I was looking at the places to stay afew weeks ago.

Many Thanks Kirsty

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kyle of Lochalsh, Dorne and Plockton

Kirsty,

Can I suggest the Tingle Creek which is roughly halfway on the road between Kyle and Plockton. We were in the area (wife's first time north of Oban) but I couldn't get booked...we ended up in the Kintail Lodge Hotel at Shiel Bridge which was fine. However, we did go to the Tingle for a meal which was absolute heaven (and if you can get a table by their panoramic window, you'll be stunned!).

Singapore
Level Contributor
301 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kyle of Lochalsh, Dorne and Plockton

I stayed at Waterside Guesthouse (under the Plockton section, there are 3 hotels and about 10 B&B listed. I noted that almost all accommodations were booked on the day I was there. So please book a room early. There is a restaurant called Plockton Shores along the water front which is very good.

10. Re: Kyle of Lochalsh, Dorne and Plockton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2010, 12:33
Get answers to your questions about Kyle of Lochalsh