We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodations in Kyle of Lochalsh

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Topic
Accomodations in Kyle of Lochalsh

My husband and I will be spending three nights in Kyle at the end of May. Does anyone have any information about the following B&Bs?

Fisher Beck

3Lochalsh Road

Seadrift

Fasgro

Cruachan

Shiel House

Cliff Cottage

Mentioned in this post
Kyle Hotel
Kyle Hotel
369 Reviews
Kyle of Lochalsh, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Isle of Skye and Scottish Highlands...
506 Reviews
from US$347.30*
Isle of Skye Full Day 8-Seater Bus...
50 Reviews
from US$114.30*
Special Offer
3-Day Isle of Skye and Highlands Tour...
13 Reviews
from US$289.40*
US$321.60
Skye and Eilean Donan Castle - Day...
11 Reviews
from US$70.00*
Isle of Skye...
Level Contributor
557 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodations in Kyle of Lochalsh

Hi LWolfe!

I must confess I have not heard of any of the properties you have just mentioned - I managed to find most of them on Google, but I really couldn't comment too much. The tariff for these properties seems to be £15 - £20 per person per night while a 3 or 4 Star B&B/Guest House/Small Hotel is approx. £25 - £45 per person per night, including full breakfast.

I would probably use one of the local Skye & Lochalsh websites to find a B&B/small hotel, while you're in the area - there are loads!! You can always check it out on the Hotel/B&B listings/reviews on TripAdvisor:

www.scotland-inverness.co.uk

www.skye.co.uk

www.isleofskye.com - official website for Skye & Lochalsh

www.lochalsh.com

Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Lochalsh Hotel
Lochalsh Hotel
262 Reviews
Kyle of Lochalsh, UK
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,189 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodations in Kyle of Lochalsh

Ooooh how exciting! You and Livinglife could end up in the same B&B at the same time!

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodations in Kyle of Lochalsh

LOL ...that's what I was thinking too, thegoodwitch...but then I realized that we'll be a few days behind LWolfe...awwwww.

It's also exciting to know that when we are going around Scotland, all of you who helped us out will be close by!! Hey, I might run into Yorkielass on Skye and not even know, or Roy in Speyside or you in...close to Edinburgh? Would love to meet you all in person!

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
4. Re: Accomodations in Kyle of Lochalsh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2007, 20:48
Cheshire
Level Contributor
41 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodations in Kyle of Lochalsh

I couldn't comment on any of the above, but don't stay at The Old Post Office in Balamcara - we just did! The bedroom was clean and in reasonable order but you are met at the front door by a pile of junk, the front of the house is concreted, full of more junk and is used as a dog toilet by their pet - very off putting. The breakfast room has just one table that probably would seat 6 or 8 people and again that is very untidy, a computer in the corner piled high with paperwork, boxes etc. We had just stayed the previous night at the 4 star Glenmoriston Hotel in Inverness, so it was a real come down.

Mentioned in this post
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Jacksonville
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodations in Kyle of Lochalsh

Thanks for the input. Due to our choices, we have chosen to stay at a 3 Star B&B near Isleornsay which is about 25 minutes from the Skye Bridge. We were unsatisfied with the choices in the Kyle area.

Many Thanks.

Oh, and sorry for your awful experience. I hope we will have better luck. So far, we have chosen only 3 and 4 Stars...is that a pretty good guide for what we should expect?

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Kyle Hotel
Kyle Hotel
369 Reviews
Kyle of Lochalsh, UK
Belfast
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodations in Kyle of Lochalsh

Hi LWolfe. I have found that the star system is not the most reliable way to choose accommodation in Scotland. Some 4-star places I have stayed were more like 3-stars, and conversely, some three stars were better than I expected. There's a website "Scotland's Best B&Bs"; I've stayed in a few of these and they are very good. I would advise looking at the individual websites for places where you are interested in staying, and also looking at the location - sometimes a very attractive place can be right beside a busy road like the A82 or the A9. This can mean noisy traffic if you sleep with the window open.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Ballater, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomodations in Kyle of Lochalsh

As I understand it Scotland's Best B&B's is limited to B&B's of 4 or 5 Stars which have no more than three letting rooms. They do not have more than one to represent each town, city or village. So you might get two or more B&B's in the same place which meets the criteria, but only one gets on the Best B&B website and into the book.

It pays to look around and use the TA reviews. If you are not happy with the place you stay in then you should complain to VisitScotland if there is a Star Rating. I guess some places might get complacent and rest on their laurels, rather than work to maintain standards.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accomodations in Kyle of Lochalsh

I think the issue is that stars (especially in hotels) do NOT reflect quality, but facilities.

I have stayed at wonderful places, but the Scottish Tourist Board don't rate them highly because they don't have a trouser press or a TV in the room. But put a crappy tray of UHT milk and a kettle in the room and, hey presto! another star is added to your rating!

10. Re: Accomodations in Kyle of Lochalsh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 11:18