We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding in Dornie

Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding in Dornie

Hello,

Could anyone recommend a wedding planner in the Highlands area or a possible reception venue close to Eilean Donan Castle? My fiancée and I are American and hoping to be wed at the castle next fall. I've emailed one local wedding planner, but s/he wanted to move the ceremony to another castle despite our preference for Eilean Donan. I saw the Clachan Bar as a possible reception venue, but have never been and don't know if it would work.

We're planning a small (less than 50 people), informal event and were hoping to walk from the castle to the reception. We're not very interested in flowers, a cake, or anything very traditional. We'd ideally like a place to drink & dine with some friends and family before everyone turns in for the night. Does anyone have any insights or recommendations?

Mentioned in this post
Eilean Donan Castle
Eilean Donan Castle
3,257 Reviews
Kyle of Lochalsh, UK
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,790 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding in Dornie

You could try this place: http://www.dornie-hotel.co.uk/

But if you visit http://www.eileandonancastle.com/weddings.htm

.....it suggests that you contact David or Pam at Eilean Donan, and they should be able to sort it out for you.

Also, have a look at this thread: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186547-i3433-k2…

Edited: 30 January 2013, 11:03
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding in Dornie

Thanks! I'm new to TripAdvisor & it's forums - thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
23,289 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding in Dornie

The three that are within walking distance are the Clachan, the Dornie Hotel and the Loch Duich Hotel but I would do as Dhmellor said and contact Eilean Donan as they will have loads of tips. Although it is closed just now there are definitely people in the office every morning so you can contact them now. I actually popped in this morning to ask a member of staff I know for some tips but they were on a day off.

Any questions on the area at all but Eilean Donan Castle is a stunning location for a wedding :-).

Friends of mine were married there last year but held there reception afterwards a bit of a drive away at The Loch Ness Inn in Drumnadrochit/Lewiston.

Mentioned in this post
Eilean Donan Castle
Eilean Donan Castle
3,257 Reviews
Kyle of Lochalsh, UK
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,289 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding in Dornie

This is the Loch Ness Inn http://www.staylochness.co.uk/ but a couple closer to the Castle (but driving/taxi/mini-bus) that spring to mind are The Plockton Inn http://plocktoninn.co.uk/the-hotel/ and The Isle Of Ornsay Hotel ( Eilean Iarmain) http://www.eileaniarmain.co.uk/

Inverness
Level Contributor
184 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding in Dornie

check out lynne kennedy photography she is local to the area and has lots of links and lots of photos of shoots at Eilean Donan

I'll try and get a hold of her so that she can tell us if theres a wedding planner she recommends

There are lots of places near the castle personally I think that the clansman is too far - but each to their own

Kintail Lodge hotel is just up the road,

Lochalsh Hotel do functions

Tingle Creek hotel at Erbusaig nr Kyle

also there is the Dornie Hall - I've been to lots of great weddingdances there!

Clan DOnald centre, Broadford Hotel, Duisdale Lodge and Kinloch Lodge are all possibilites too

I think that you can only get married at the castle after 5 or 6 at night

Just thinking www.lynnekennedy.co.uk Lynne got married at Eilean Donan herself

Mentioned in this post
Lochalsh Hotel
Lochalsh Hotel
262 Reviews
Kyle of Lochalsh, UK
Erbusaig
Erbusaig
Lochalsh, UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding in Dornie

Thank you for all the suggestions! It's been a little difficult calling due to the time difference but I will just wake up early and give them a call while I walk the dog.

Edited: 30 January 2013, 19:31
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,289 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding in Dornie

Out of the above I would skip the Lochalsh Hotel as it has definitely seen better days :-(. The Duisdale Hotel is fabulous but in the upper end of the price scale.

I also agree that The Loch Ness Inn (I didn't mean The Clansman which is even further away) is too far away but my friends had a strong connection with The Loch Ness Inn and it is a lovely Inn

Mentioned in this post
Lochalsh Hotel
Lochalsh Hotel
262 Reviews
Kyle of Lochalsh, UK
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,289 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding in Dornie

You could always drop them an e mail initially ;-)

Inverness
Level Contributor
184 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding in Dornie

If you want to walk try Dornie hotel or the Clachan

My friend organised another friends 40th last weekend in one of them will find out which one that too was a great party!

Mentioned in this post
Dornie
Dornie
Lochalsh, UK
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,289 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding in Dornie

The Clachan's kitchen is closed until the Spring so I am guessing the Dornie Hotel unless they didn't have a meal.