We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights in Scotland - see as much as possible- help please

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
294 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
3 nights in Scotland - see as much as possible- help please

Hi Everyone,

We are tavelling by car in Scotland for 3 nights - 1st night Edinburgh - see main attractions and tattoo.

Suggestions please driving itinerary - What do we start and where do we stop and stay? St Andrews? Inverness? Loch Ness? Skye?Loch Lomond?

We intend to drive on then through to Lakes District to Liverpool.

Want to see as much as possible, North Scotland. Will not have time to stop at Glasgow.

Thanks

marnie G

Drumnadrochit...
Level Contributor
96 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 nights in Scotland - see as much as possible- help please

3 nights isn't a lot unfortunately!

Day 1 - Edinburgh

Day 2 - Edinburgh to Fort William (approx 3 - 4 hours) - via Stiling, Callandar, Tyndrum and Glenoce.

This drive will take you through some pretty spectacular scenery and you'll get to see Stirling castle on the drive past. Glen Coe is stunning and the view of Buachaille Etive Mor as you come over rannoch moor is probably one of the most photographed in Scotland! Stay overnight in Fort William

Day 3

It really depends where you need to be at the end of the day, especially if you're heading back down South. I'd be tempted to drive from Fort William to Mallaig - Ferry to Armadale and then drive across Skye (stopping at Broadford for a break?) over the Skye bridge and either taking the road through Glen Shiel to Loch Ness and Inverness (passing Eilean Donan castle) or taking the North route past Lochcarron and Achnasheen. Both routes are lovely and if you get the weather, the views from the North road over Loch Carron are hard to beat.

Finish in Inverness and drive down south in the morning. As a rough guide, it takes me 4 hours to drive from Inverness to Carlise. If you go at a reasonable time in the morning the journey down the A9 should be relatively hassle free.

Hope that helps.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights in Scotland - see as much as possible- help please

Hi

I'd agree with Leodasach's suggestion of Fort William for night 2 (and suggest Huntingtower lodge as an option).

However after that it really depends on how much you want to cram in or how leisurely you want to be - much though I love Skye I think the rest of the suggested itinerary is a lot of driving - e.g. Inverness to Carlise alone is over 250 miles - so doing this in 4 hours is really tanking along.

if you want to have a day where you see the country rather than only drive a lot, you could do a day activitiy from the Fort William region - eg a boat trip from Arisaig - www.arisaig.co.uk - or go for a walk in the fort william area (there are some stunning hills there - including Britain's highest, Ben Nevis) - or up the Nevis range gondola to get lovely views to the west.

You could either have the relaxation of staying put for the next night, or head north and east past Spean BRidge to the central highlands - such as Kingussie (the Cross is a super place to stay) - maybe taking a trip up the Cairngorm funicular, or visit a distillery - or play a round of golf at the Boat of Garten course.

Hope this helps...

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
21,681 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 nights in Scotland - see as much as possible- help please

Leo must know where the speed camera's are lol :-))

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
294 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 nights in Scotland - see as much as possible- help please

Thanks to you all, off to do my itinerary homework with map!

Lots of great suggestions.

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated.

Marnie G

5. Re: 3 nights in Scotland - see as much as possible- help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 17:17