We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some of it interesting but overall rather tacky

Brentwood, Essex, UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Some of it interesting but overall rather tacky

We found this to be quite short, with some interesting points.

The experience was spoiled by realising that the whole thing was just a gimmick to get people into the gift shop at the end, where one could purchase fluffy loch ness monsters, loch ness tea towels, whisky you could get far cheaper in a supermarket etc

Save your hard-earned and go for a walk along the loch instead, or better still, drive to Glen Affric about 20 miles way and see some fantastic unspoilt, unpackaged, monster-free scenery.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some of it interesting but overall rather tacky

Or why not get onto the water yourself. Try watersking on Loch Ness! See:

experienceecosse.com/content/boating/activit…

Costs the same as the visitor centre, costs less and is much more fun! See all experiences at www.experienceecosse.com

dundee
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Some of it interesting but overall rather tacky

I couldn't agree with you more. I also found the staff there very unpleasant. A total waste of time, money and energy.

London, UK
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Some of it interesting but overall rather tacky

I agree. You can safely give the Nessie Exhibitions a miss. Girlfriend and me went to spend a week at Lochness, even booked a B&B by the shores of the Loch, but ended up renting a car and driving 600 miles along the west coast for 2 days in a row. We were in the lap of the highlands and that is the real Scotland for you. We went to the Eileen Donan castle, crossed over into the Isle Of Skye and drove all along the west coast passing the coastal towns of Ullapool, Durness (where John Lennon spent his holidays!!), Thurso and Dunnet Head. We then drove back to Inverness along the east coast via Wick. It was only 600 miles, but it felt like an epic journey due to the variation in the landscape which was simply overpowering. I would strongly recommend more visitors not be lured into Loch Ness's commercial charms but try and appreciate the highlands. Its only then you will truly begin to appreciate Scotland.

Inverness
Level Contributor
180 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some of it interesting but overall rather tacky

sorry to be really blunt here, but here it goes....

What else do you really expect.

All the Highlands really has to offer are Mountains and scenery(cannot charge for those), hospitality (wouldn't charge for that, it would be rude), The Malts (do a tour, it is cheap, even free and fantastic value)

And 'The Monster'

what do you expect when you go into a Loch Ness Monster Exhibition in a tourist village... it is going to be expensive and you are going to be fleeced. The only 'Monster' you will see at an exhibition is the bill

Inverness
Level Contributor
180 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some of it interesting but overall rather tacky

BTW bluepilgrim, you got your holiday spot on.

Loch Ness
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Some of it interesting but overall rather tacky

Ah - the great monster merchandise debate! If there wasn't a monster exhibition and souveniers on sale people would ask why not!

But - the Loch Ness area is pretty big and you can avoid the monster industry all together! Honest!

I agree that the Glen Affric area is fantastic, there are also some wonderful forest walks at Abriachan. South Loch Ness is the 'secret' side of the Loch with waterfalls and wildlife watching. You can stroll by the caledonian canal at Fort Augustus and and head towards the west coast from Invermoriston. History is evident from castles to forts to cairns to Wades roads, etc. Walk or cycle the Great Glen Way!

So - dont write it off - try www.visitlochness.net for more ideas.

Italy
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some of it interesting but overall rather tacky

Ach you missed the best part actually looking for Nessie. She won't come out now for a few months you've hurt her feelings unsensitive person that you are!!!

Yeh don't believe it she's laughing all the way to the bank----of Scotland I hope!!!

Every place where tourists go they have tacky souvenirs but let's face it some tourists are tacky!!

Like it or love it Nessie is here to stay.

Have you been to visit her wee sister Morag yet?

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Some of it interesting but overall rather tacky

Wee Nessie is a figment of someone's whisky fuelled imagination, which tourists fall for hook,line and sinker!

What do you find at the end of a tourist trail....gift shops.

Now if you wanted to go Haggis hunting that would be a truly different experience ;)

A S
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
654 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some of it interesting but overall rather tacky

Some of the most respected museums in the world are set up so that you must pass through the gift shop to get to the exit. It is to be expected.

Loch Ness
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Some of it interesting but overall rather tacky

Ahhhhh - the Haggis herds of Glen Urquhart, now dont go scaring them off now! - what do you think Nessie feeds on when she gets peckish?