We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Airport for Loch Ness pls?

UK
Level Contributor
230 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Which Airport for Loch Ness pls?

Planning a 3 day stay in October and will have a car. Will be flying from London - is Glasgow or Aberdeen airport best for exploring the loch area please.

Are Loch Ness and Loch Lomand near to each other - ie, could we do each of them separetly in a day trip or are they too far apart?

TIA

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,055 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Airport for Loch Ness pls?

Inverness (and airport) is only a few few miles from Loch Ness.

Loch Ness and L Lomond are not near each other.

Try a route planner - theaa.com , viamichelin.com or even google maps, to show you where places are and how to get between them. Add a bit of leeway to allow for stops.

You could easily drive from Glasgow airport and be at Loch Lomond within an hour, and then carry on north through Glencoe to Inverness/ Loch Ness. It depends on how much driving you are happy to do.

Level Contributor
3,431 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Airport for Loch Ness pls?

They arent close.

Loch Lomond is easier logisitically. And rated far higher on here, as its a lot more beautiful, as opposed to the very heavily marketed, but less well regarded Loch Ness.

UK
Level Contributor
230 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Airport for Loch Ness pls?

Thanks very much for your replies - very helpful.

I'm using Avios for flights so am a bit restricted - flights are only available to Glasgow or Aberdeen with them.

I was thinking of flying to Aberdeen - we don't mind driving to places as I imagine the scenery will be beautiful along the way. Do you think Glasgow would be better for Loch Lomand area pls?

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Airport for Loch Ness pls?

It takes about 30mins tops to drive from Glasgow airport to the S end of Loch Lomond. Aberdeen is nowhere near Loch Lomond and isn't particularly near Loch Ness either so I don't think it's a great option tbh. Personally if I was you I'd follow peterscot's advice and fly to Glasgow and drive up via Loch Lomond and Glencoe to Loch Ness.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,055 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Airport for Loch Ness pls?

Glasgow is much nearer the Highlands than Aberdeen, despite being farther south. There is pretty countryside near Aberdeen and it would make an interesting, if very long, drive from there to Loch Lomond.

But, I stick with my original suggestions.

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Airport for Loch Ness pls?

If I were you I'd spend a ltitle time with Google maps, and use Streetview as well.. get a feel for where places are, how far apart, and what they look like!

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Airport for Loch Ness pls?

Inverness id the closest airport to Loch Ness (about 40 minutes drive).

You can easily drive between Loch Ness and Loch Lomond in a day but both Loch's deserve to have at least a day spent on or near them.

Boats trips are available on both Lochs and the drive between Loch Lomond and Loch Ness is absolutely gorgeous.

I live on the shore of Loch Ness so am very familiar with this route.

Enjoy your trip.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,055 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Airport for Loch Ness pls?

Martin - see post #3. It seems they can't use Inverness airport, without paying cash. The original post didn't mention this.

9. Re: Which Airport for Loch Ness pls?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 17:16