We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midges

Which Nairn hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool
9 posts
Save Topic
Midges

We are visiting the area at the end of

July. Can anyone advise whthere we will have a problem with midges?

Central scotland
Level Contributor
323 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midges

Yes, dependant on time and weather conditions obviously. I've been out in the trossachs the last two mornings and they're brutal this year!!

UK
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Midges

Midges are a problem in many areas. I like in a town and we get a problem in our back garden.

Zanesville, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Midges

We are traveling to Scotland in mid September throughout the whole country. Will midges be a problem at that time?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,727 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Midges

Normally, they wouldn't be, but with the weather getting warmer, they MIGHT be.

It depends on the local weather at the time, which no-one can predict much more than a day in advance.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,727 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Midges

By the way, they don't occur all over, so it also depends where you are.

Scotland
Level Contributor
354 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Midges

Nairn is not known as a midge area. Its the west coast thats the worst- the east coast has very little problem - possibly a bit in the woods but you certainly dont need face and head netting. I remember last year wild camping in the cairngorm area (which I know is not in the west)and wondering why it looked dark outside - it was a cloud of midges waiting to get at us. We had to dress quickly, grab the tent and run to higher ground where we could fold up the tent - they were in our eyes, mouth, nose, ears, horrible. That was the extreme. That was the only time in 50 years that they've been a problem to me. If the sun is shining or there is wind or rain then you will be ok. Even better if there is frost and snow.

Liverpool
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Midges

Many thanks for all your comments.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Midges

Hi

As the earlier poster said, midges are more of a west coast problem. Also, if the wind is blowing at more than 2 mph, or you are walking at the same speed or faster, midges don't really bother you.

9. Re: Midges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Nairn
Recent Conversations