We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aberdeen to Skye. Where to stay ONE night on the way?

Greve, Denmark
Level Contributor
14 posts
456 reviews
Save Topic
Aberdeen to Skye. Where to stay ONE night on the way?

We are going by car from Aberdeen Airport to Isle of Skye. We will arrive late in the afternoon (17 o'clock) and are heading for Skye. We have to stay one night on the way. Will Nairn be to far away from Aberdeen (driving time)?

Any good suggestion where to stay (B&B or guest house)?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Aberdeen to Skye. Where to stay ONE night on the way?

I once had to pick someone up from a flight at Aberdeen Airport around 2000 hrs and we found a b+b at Elgin which is around 60 miles from the airport. With flight arrival at 1700 hrs and arrival formalities normally very quick at Aberdeen you should be able to travel a lot further; personally I've often driven the whole way to Skye leaving Aberdeen city at that time.

The A96, Aberdeen /Inverness road is not a particularly fast or pleasant drive for much of the working day, and at 1730 hrs in particular. I'd always route via the slightly longer but more scenic A944 Aberdeen - Alford - Strathdon - Lecht - Carrbridge - Inverness; traffic delays are more or less unheard of using this route. A variation I use is to avoid Inverness altogether by using the (minor) south Loch Ness road from near Daviot to Fort Augustus (via Erogie) then to Invergarry. On this basis you might consider somewhere like the Cluanie Inn (around 30 miles short of the Skye Bridge) for overnight accommodation: http://www.cluanieinn.com/cluanie.htm

Lerwick, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aberdeen to Skye. Where to stay ONE night on the way?

Nairn is about 2 hours drive from Aberdeen Airport at that time of day. There are many reasonable places to stay in the town, but if you are carniverous I would recommend the steak suppers at the Alton Burn hotel, which is on the outskirts of Nairn on the Inverness side.

A good site is www.4hotels.co.uk/uk/nairn

which gives hotels, guest houses and B&B's.

Hope you find something suitable and enjoy your stay in the town of my birth.

Cheers

Morayshire, Scotland
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aberdeen to Skye. Where to stay ONE night on the way?

Hi,

Can I suggest Forres, We are a very picturesque town, Have loads of hotels and B&B's, and are between Elgin (1 hour) and Nairn(1.5) on the A96. Try this link I can't recommend it as I don't know anyone who has stopped there, but it is highly spoken about.

http://www.forres-accommodation.co.uk/

Can I also recommend that you not go to Skye via the Loch Ness road. Go out towards Dingwall, and then take the Ullapool road, turn left on the Achnasheen road, and when there(1 Hour from Inverness) follow the signs to Loch Carron & Skye), the views are great on this road, and it is faster than the other route recommended. Although the part around Loch Carron is very Twisty and narrow, it is still faster!

Approx 1 more hour and you will be at the Skye bridge.

Hope the weather is fine and you enjoy your trip.

Austin
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Aberdeen to Skye. Where to stay ONE night on the way?

I loved the Swallow Newton Hotel in Nairn. Be sure to take an after-dinner walk on the seawall. (You have to walk from the hotel though a lovely neighborhood). Unbelievable!

5. Re: Aberdeen to Skye. Where to stay ONE night on the way?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 03:16
Get answers to your questions about Nairn
Recent Conversations
More Nairn Topics