We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greenock cruise ship terminal to Glasgow

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
167 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Greenock cruise ship terminal to Glasgow

I understand there are buses and trains from Greenock to Glasgow, but what would be the name of the station I would be able to walk to from the cruise terminal in Greenock? What terminal would be best for a visiting tourist to get off at in Glasgow?

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greenock cruise ship terminal to Glasgow

How long do you have in Greenock?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,178 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greenock cruise ship terminal to Glasgow

Nearest stations are Greenock West and Greenock Central.Ask locally for directions.

There are 3 trains per hour on weekdays taking about 40 minutes.

The trains terminate at Glasgow Central which is right in the centre of the city.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
167 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greenock cruise ship terminal to Glasgow

Any clue which is closer to the cruise ship terminal?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
167 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greenock cruise ship terminal to Glasgow

I have about 9-10 hours in Greenock.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Greenock cruise ship terminal to Glasgow

Trains from Greenock West to Glasgow Central stop at Greenock Central 3 minutes later thus you can use whichever station is nearer to point you go ashore from the cruise ship. You can ask at time you disembark which station is the nearer.

Scotland
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greenock cruise ship terminal to Glasgow

Erm, I'f prob jump in a taxi at the port and get them to take u to greenock central. It'll only got a few pounds. then you can get the train from there to glasgow central (which is the end of the line, so just stay on til you get there)

Glasgow central is the main train station in glasgow. If u get a fast train from greenock, it's the only glasgow stop. the slower trains stop at more stops, but theyre more residental areas....

for the way back from glasgow, you're looking for a gourock train (and all gourock trains stop at greenock central) then u could get a taxi back to the port, or walk if the weathers nice and u've worked the route out on a map...

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
167 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greenock cruise ship terminal to Glasgow

Thank you all for the information. I feel confident I will have no problem now navigating my way to Glasgow. If I can do public transportation in other areas of Europe with my limited knowledge of their language, surely I can do this in an English speaking country. Yeah, been there done that before and sometimes we don't have the same meaning of a word. Can't wait. Thanks again.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greenock cruise ship terminal to Glasgow

I suggest you walk to Greenock West. Here are directions:-

Come out of Ocean Terminal - you will be on Patrick Street. Cross at the traffic lights and continue up Patrick Street (with the water behind you). At the top of this street, Finnart Street crosses it (it is the 4th junction - the first one being Union Street with the lights). Turn left into Finnart Street, pass the college. Turn Right into Nelson Street. Take the Next left into Newton street and this will lead you round to the station.

Alternatively if you want to cut through Greenock Oak Mall shopping centre (not very good really), turn left out of Patrick Street at the lights. Follow the main road along for 3 or 4 mins until it forks in a Y-shape. Go along the right hand part which is West Blackhall street and has shops all along it. Enter the mall a few blocks along. Come out the other end of the mall, and go through the square at the other end. Continue another block or so, past the James Watt Bar, and then turn right to the station. This would be about 15 mins walk. If the mall is closed (after 6pm) you may not be able to cut through it.

If you need any more info just let me know.

There are also some free trips available in Greenock with the local tourist group. http://www.inverclydetouristgroup.co.uk/

9. Re: Greenock cruise ship terminal to Glasgow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2009, 07:28