We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ship's Tour or Independent -- Please Advise

Which Greenock hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ship's Tour or Independent -- Please Advise

I’ll be in port at Greenock this summer. I would like to spend the majority of the time at Loch Lomond/Trossachs. Our cruise line is a 4 ½ hour Panoramic Scottish Lochs tour, stopping at Loch Lomond, the village of Luss, Tarbet, Rest & Be Thankful Viewpoint, driving along Loch Fyne, Loch Eck and Holy Lock. A ferry from Hunter’s Quay takes passengers back to the ship. This tour is $59. Would that be a better option than trying to do it myself by train/bus to Balloch and Luss? I want to see as much of the scenery as possible and am not finding local Trossachs tours that would fit within our 7am – 4pm allotted time.

Thanks for your advice!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,757 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ship's Tour or Independent -- Please Advise

We have always been told that the cruise tours were very expensive.

This one looks good value for $59 and covers a lot of ground.

I would go for it.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,898 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ship's Tour or Independent -- Please Advise

Hi, this has been asked before and while sometimes organised tours can be a rip off this one is probably good value as to do this on your own using public transport is not that straightforward.

Is that $59 or £59 if it is $ then that is great value, but as I say you would not be able to see as much if on your own.

Edited: 26 July 2010, 16:51
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ship's Tour or Independent -- Please Advise

I think I would go with the ship's tour on this occasion, it seems good value, and if you go independently by public transport there is always the worry of being late back, a cruise liner will not wait for you!! If you are on their tour and it is late they will have to sort it out. What we have done on cruises is hire our own car and drive ourselves, worked well on Shetland and Orkney but there's not a lot of traffic up there.!!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ship's Tour or Independent -- Please Advise

Thanks for the advice! I'll book the trip.

P.S. (To answer the question: yes, it is dollars).

Edited: 26 July 2010, 20:10
Scotland
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ship's Tour or Independent -- Please Advise

I'd go for the ship's tour, it sounds like it covers a lot and its quite good value too!

Charlotte NC
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ship's Tour or Independent -- Please Advise

As an alternative, you may want to check out your roll call on Cruise Critic. You might be able to hook up with a small group on your ship and arrange your own tour. At a $59 price, you might not save much money, but you might well have a better tour experience. I might be on your same cruise and that's what I've done.

7. Re: Ship's Tour or Independent -- Please Advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2011, 05:17