We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting by cruise ship in Sept 2011 -what to do??

san jose
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Topic
visiting by cruise ship in Sept 2011 -what to do??

Hello

Can anyone suggest things to do in Greenock? We have already been to Glascow. Do we want to stay in Greencock or take a taxi somewhere nearby?

thanks

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,888 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting by cruise ship in Sept 2011 -what to do??

How long do you have, just a few hours or what?

You could take the train the other way to Wemyes Bay and then teh ferry to Rothsay, take a trip around the island on the open top bus,

san jose
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting by cruise ship in Sept 2011 -what to do??

We are in port from 9 am to 5pm.

thank you

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting by cruise ship in Sept 2011 -what to do??

If you go to Rothesay you could visit Mount Stuart, a very impressive gothic mansion: http://www.mountstuart.com/

Scotland
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting by cruise ship in Sept 2011 -what to do??

I've heard good things about these guys.. local volunteers, take small tours around local sights, for free (donation would be nice though). theyre usually there to greet the visitors coming off the ships...

http://www.inverclydetouristgroup.co.uk/

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting by cruise ship in Sept 2011 -what to do??

Yes, there is the Inverclyde Tourist Group doing the free local trips. Why not try contacting them to see what they offer. I'm not sure how you can get a train to Wemyss Bay though, quite a trek to the stations (uphill) to use the train line in the South of the town.

Aren't there any organised trips to Loch Lomond etc?

san jose
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting by cruise ship in Sept 2011 -what to do??

The locals usually do meet the cruise ships but our ship only has 800 passengers so they said they will not be there.

Too bad.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting by cruise ship in Sept 2011 -what to do??

That's a shame. It might be best to look at excursions offered by the cruise line. You could do a day trip to Loch Lomond or Edinburgh or something? I'm not sure what to recommend locally, this isn't really a touristy area so I wouldn't encourage people to stay in Greenock for the day unless they do a free tour. Of course if you just want a walk and maybe visit a few shops then you can do that here. I feel that could be a bit of a waste though when there is so much more to see in Scotland, although time won't permit you to travel too far.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visiting by cruise ship in Sept 2011 -what to do??

If there isn't a tour organised by the ship (can't imagine they don't lay on a trip to Loch Lomond on somesuch) then I'd go back to Glasgow rather than spend time in Greenock. There's really nothing you'd want to see there. I can't imagine you've exhausted Glasgow in one visit.

uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visiting by cruise ship in Sept 2011 -what to do??

Can you give me some idea of what your interests are, and what you saw in Glasgow, there are many places you can get to by local train or bus, I don't know who walked up a steep hill to the train station, its a 15 minute walk along the flat to Greenock Central Station.

What date do you arrive, there may be something local I can recomend.

uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visiting by cruise ship in Sept 2011 -what to do??

Goodwitch,

there are a few things to see in Inverclyde depending on your interests, not least the James Watt Museum, and the "mother" Burns Club who meet in the James Watt Library, wasn't James Watt famous for something ?

Also anyone with an interest in Robert Burns might want to visit Highland Mary's Grave in the local cemetery.

Edited: 19 August 2011, 00:19