We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Isle of Arran from Glasgow

Boston...
3 posts
Save Topic
Travel to Isle of Arran from Glasgow

Hello,

I have decided to take a mini-adventure on my own to the Isle of Arran for a couple of days at the end of May. Prior to that, I will be in Glasgow and I am curious about the train-ferry connection at Ardrossan Harbour. I am sure that traveling from Glasgow is a common way to get to the island and that it is easy, but I want to be prepared for any potential obstacles, as it looks like the train station at Ardrossan Harbour is really just a platform with no staff available and I'm not sure how to get to the ferry port from the train. I'm guessing from the timetables that they are super close to one another, but I'd love to hear if anybody has done this trip before, so that I can have a sense as to what to expect.

I'm also trying to figure out the best way to get tickets - can you get a combination round-trip train-ferry ticket or is it best to get them all separately?

I admit, I'm kind of shocked at myself for booking two nights on an island, as it is a bit out of my comfort zone, but I wanted to try something different on this vacation (I'll be bouncing around the UK for two weeks visiting some friends and family and doing some stuff on my own).

Thanks for your help!!

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Isle of Arran from Glasgow

I've only done it once, but it is so obvious what to do when you get off the train. Besides, most everyone else getting off at that station are catching the ferry.

I had a combined ticket, but didn't do any comparative pricing with buying separate tickets.

Arran is a special place - too bad you are only giving yourself 2 nights.

Boston...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Isle of Arran from Glasgow

Thanks so much for the response! Since I'll only be there for a couple of days, is there any place that you would consider to be a "must visit" during my stay?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Isle of Arran from Glasgow

Hi. You wil not get lost. It is a 1 min walk from the railway station to the ferry. Simply follow the sign to "ferry terminal", or join all the other people that will be making the same journey.

You can't go wrong!

I bought my rail and ferry tickets separately, not sure about comparative prices.

Arran is a lovely Island, enjoy! Abs :)

Boston...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Isle of Arran from Glasgow

Thanks Abs! I'm confident now that I can manage the minute walk! After my trip to Arran, I'll be headed to Edinburgh for a few days. My friend who lives in Denmark will meet me there - we are really excited! Cheers!

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
524 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Isle of Arran from Glasgow

It's been some time since your question but it may help somebody. I did this journey about 2 weeks ago. There were 2 of us. We bought a combined open return ticket at Glasgow Central station which cost about Ł47 for both. I am not sure about the individual ticket prices but as least we didn't have to wait in the long queue for the tickets in Ardrossan.

Edited: 04 August 2011, 13:39
Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Isle of Arran from Glasgow

Anytime (back within one month) return rail travel from Glasgow Central to Ardrossan Harbour is £11.60. A return (back within 5 days) from Ardrossan Harbour to Brodick is £10.10.

Scotrail do Anytime returns from Glasgow to Brodick but they seem to be more expensive than individual tickets going by above poster.

bonnie scotland
Level Contributor
145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Isle of Arran from Glasgow

Cheaper to do as above poster says! Buy anytime return at train station, then 5 day return at ferry terminal. Open return on ferry slightly more expensive..a couple of pounds i think? (I don't often buy open return on the ferry.)

Queues at terminal not bad, efficient staff on duty, the longest I've waited is 5-7 mins, queue GOT to be dealt with quickly, or you would miss the ferry!!!!

Sometimes no queue at all, all depends on time and day i expect!

Edited: 07 August 2011, 13:00
Llangollen, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Isle of Arran from Glasgow

Staying in Troon would like to spend the day at the isle of Arran which is the best way to get there please this will be in July

Edited: 28 March 2012, 18:42
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,823 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to Isle of Arran from Glasgow

Will you have a car? If so, take the various bypass roads around Irvine, Kilwinning and Saltcoats, and follows signs for Ferry. You can leave your car in car park at terminal, or take it over to Arran (for a fee).

If going by train, go north, change at Kilwinning for Ardrossan Harbour train.

Check timetables etc, Strathclyde Passenger Transport executive run trains and buses.

Calmac.co.uk run the ferry.

Llangollen, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to Isle of Arran from Glasgow

Thank you so much I will check that out. You wouldnt happen to know how many miles that is we will take the car and leave at the terminal thanks once again .

Get answers to your questions about Isle of Arran
Recent Conversations