We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first trip to Scotland

Iowa
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
first trip to Scotland

OMG, there are so many questions I could ask. I am traveling alone to Scotland from the US for 3 weeks, renting a car. I am making decisions about where to go. Isle of Arran is one place. I have no initial time frame, but mostly trying to decide if I should leave the car behind, or take it to the isle? Will just start with this one.

ecosse
Level Contributor
151 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first trip to Scotland

If you are renting a car, and have 3 weeks, and want to include Arran, I would say, take the car. That would allow you to use it to take you from one part of the mainland ( Ardrossan, just south of Glasgow) up into the heart of Argyll, and would giove you the possibility of doing some island-hopping to Islay, , and a very scenic route up to Oban, where you can take ferry to Mull, Iona..

But it really all depends what your interests and priorities are, and also to some extent what time of year you plan to take this trip?

This link will give you ideas that start with your Arran options.

www.calmac.co.uk/tickets/island-hopping

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: first trip to Scotland

Take it with you as you'll be able to explore the island.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first trip to Scotland

There are buses on Arran but not as frequent as you'd want, and you will feel constrained if you have no car.

As Marge indicates you can arrive in Arran from Ardrossan and leave via Lochranza, hence giving you quicker access to the Western Highlands.

4. Re: first trip to Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 18:16
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Arran
Recent Conversations