We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living On the isle of Arran

Telford, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Living On the isle of Arran

Hi, I was recently asked for a house exchange from someone on the isle of Arran wanting to return to Shropshire where I live at the moment. The isle of Arran seems to tick all the boxes and I would love to make the move, but I'm English and people keep telling me the scots don't like us. I'm not patriotic, I love beautiful places, but I don't want to live a life of misery or hassle because I'm disliked for being a Brit. Am I panicking over nothing or is this a genuine problem I should consider before I take the plunge? Obviously I would prefer you lovely scots to answer this one ;) any reply is appriciated x

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living On the isle of Arran

What justification do the people you have spoken with give for saying Scottish people do not like English people?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,014 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Living On the isle of Arran

How many Ukraine shirts were sold in Glasgow over the past few days?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,340 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Living On the isle of Arran

Nonsense we love you. There must be hundreds of thousand of English people living in Scotland without a problem.

Just never ever ever mention the 1966 world cup as we are sick of hearing about it ;-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,198 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Living On the isle of Arran

there are a great number of English people living on Arran, the village of Whiting bay is locally known a Whitley bay. I very much doubt you will have any problems.

Personally I don't care what nationality anyone is, jings I have 2 sisters married to English men and I still speak to them.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,742 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Living On the isle of Arran

"I don't want to live a life of misery or hassle because I'm disliked for being a Brit"

er... we're also Brits, aren't we??

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Living On the isle of Arran

as a non scot i manage to rub along nicely with friends and neighbours. just dont mention the footie. lol.

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
231 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Living On the isle of Arran

Given that around 10% of those currently living in Scotland are English it would appear 500, 000 or so of your fellow countrymen find it perfectly ok here.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,923 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Living On the isle of Arran

If you are quick, you'll get a vote in the forthcoming Independence referendum, whereas millions of Scots, living outside Scotland, won't!

Have to agree with the others - Arran already has received many settlers - you won't be the first. And Scots are British, too. It's overlooking details like that, that gets people's backs up....

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Living On the isle of Arran

Don't worry about whatever they say in the papers about Alex Salmond. He barks but he doesn't bite.

You may remember 'separatists' in N Wales and Cornwall and stories about them burning down 2nd homes bought typically by rich incomers from London. There are concerns in all rural communities but it's usually about lack of affordable housing rather than nationality. And applies pretty much everywhere UK and beyond.

You may have also heard stories about Scottish prejudice in some Universities like Edinburgh. That's as much to do with the shambles that is fee-charging in England as it is to do with Public School Hooray Henries coming north [Edinburgh, being near the top of the Uni leagues, does attract an English clientele]

Arran is a pretty big place. It's not insular or isolated. There are lots of local businesses apart from tourism. I'd say fitting in an Arran village would be no more difficult than in a Cotswold village: just be friendly and buy people a few pints ...

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Living On the isle of Arran

Just to put 'Nationalism' in context.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_the_Pict

Get answers to your questions about Isle of Arran
Recent Conversations