We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's on in summer? And swimming

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
What's on in summer? And swimming

Hi we are considering (with a bit of trepidation) a week in Arran in July. We usually go abroad, but are going away in April instead so considering a staycation in summer. We have been to Arran before in October time and the weather was horrendous unfortunately! But it was a lovely place and we might like to give it a go in summer. Anyway I was just wondering if there was a programme of events or anything for summertime and where I might find it? Also is there anywhere we can take our daughter swimming?

Many thanks

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What's on in summer? And swimming

Fair point well made (DOI been to Arran in all weathers- but I personally think it is better in the sunshine)

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What's on in summer? And swimming

http://www.arranbanner.co.uk/holidayarran

One of my favourite islands. I'm trying to find details on a day long party that takes place each summer, involving just about all the residents and visitors and ends with the Shiskie Discy ( Shiskine Disco ). There are events in various different locations and all the kids get involved as well. I'll keep digging.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What's on in summer? And swimming

The Shiskine thing stopped a few years back.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What's on in summer? And swimming

I've been Arran in sunshine,wind and rain- With the appriopriate clothing, but I prefer the sunshine

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,426 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What's on in summer? And swimming

I prefer the wind! It appears to keep the midges away!

Shiskine, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What's on in summer? And swimming

Hi - Shiskine Valley Sports Day may still happen - but the evening is more low key now. Nothing set as yet, but check out www.shiskinevalley.org for photos of previous years. We are thinking of doing something this year - but the format may be slightly different! Also check www.visitarran.com and check out their What's On page for island events.

Shiskine, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: What's on in summer? And swimming

Lots of lovely beaches on Arran for swimming - Silver Sands at Kildonan, and Blackwaterfoot are especially lovely. Also indoor pools - in unlikely event of rain ;) at Kinloch and Auchrannie. Again, check out www.visitarran.com for more info on events. The new visitor guide (2014/15) will be out in the next few weeks, and will be available online (you can still see 2013/14 edition there too).

ecosse
Level Contributor
151 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: What's on in summer? And swimming

If you looked at Islay instead, as well as a different beach for every day, you could go to the ( community) pool in Bowmore, which is heated courtesy of the distillery next door. Maybe our family's favourite swimming pool over years of mixed summer holiday experiences in Scotland!

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: What's on in summer? And swimming

Sheila

Thanks for the update on the Shiskine thing as it was one of our most memorable days on the island. Real sense of community spirit which would put many of the mainland towns to shame. My bud is a local from the island who now bides next to me and he will be presently surprised that it maybe back on as he has kids of his own who would revel in this.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: What's on in summer? And swimming

There are some nice inland lochs as well, so buy your wee daughter a pair of hiking boots and off you go :-)

If she's small enough to fit in a packpack frame, that opens up possibilities for getting out and about. There are spectacular bits of countryside behind Sannox [streams to splash in if you keep a close eye], or Whiting Bay at the other end of the island [glenashdale falls and the forestry tracks nearby] or lots of birdlife on the shingle shores of the NW coast. Assuming some decent weather of course.

I've looked at this thread a few times but it hasn't been clear if you're looking for places YOU can visit, or perforce only places you can go accompanied by small daughter. The thread has been coloured by that necessity, I think.

Get answers to your questions about Isle of Arran
Recent Conversations