We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get from Oban to Arran?

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How do I get from Oban to Arran?

I will be arriving back in Oban from Iona about noon on a Sunday and I'm interested in traveling to the Isle of Arran. Is it worth the trip there to see a glimpse of the countryside and what is the best way to get there?

Mentioned in this post
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Isle of Arran
Isle of Arran
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,191 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get from Oban to Arran?

You really need to hire a car. Otherwise you'd need to get a bus to Glasgow then a bus or train to Ardrossan, then the ferry to Arran. Once on Arran you'd need to get a bus or walk. Its doable but will take you ages.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Isle of Arran
Isle of Arran
Scotland, UK
Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get from Oban to Arran?

You can use the Traveline Scotland website to plan your travel in Scotland. But it does take a bit of practice, so here's the answer to your question:

1) CityLink 976

Depart 12:45 Oban (Station Road, CityLink Stances)

Arrive 15:45 Glasgow (Buchanan Bus Station)

2) Stagecoach Express X36

Depart 16:30 Glasgow (Buchanan Bus Station)

Arrive 17:45 Ardrossan (Princes Street, Unionist Club)

3) Caledonian MacBrayne 5

Depart 18:00 Ardrossan Harbour

Arrive 18:55 Brodick Pier

This is the ONLY connection. If you don't travel on Sundays, the journey from Glasgow (Central) to Ardrossan is by train.

http://www.travelinescotland.com/

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Brodick
Brodick
Isle of Arran, UK
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get from Oban to Arran?

If you're prepared to hire a car, then a much nicer way to reach Arran is to drive from Oban to Claonaig on the Kintyre Peninsula and then take the Claonaig to Lochranza ferry. This in itself is a beautiful sail and you will pass through some gorgeous coastal scenery on the way. You could probably drive it in a couple of hours, but might want to take much longer.

Check http://www.calmac.co.uk/arran for details.

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Arran
Isle of Arran
Scotland, UK
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get from Oban to Arran?

Given the 1 km distance from Ardrossan town centre to Ardrossan Harbour and the 10 minute advance check in on the ferry, I think TravelSpy's 15 minute connection in Ardrossan would only work for very fast runners.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get from Oban to Arran?

I agree with ron_w, now you cannot buy your ticket on the boat you are unlikely to make the boat from the main street in Ardrossan in 15 minutes (assuming the bus was on time !).

I quite agree that if you hired a car the drive from Oban via Argyll and Lochranza is much nicer.

Alternately, break your journey in Glasgow and get the train to Ardrossan Harbour (a very short walk to thr boat and no panic).

It isn't strictly necessary to have a car on Arran, the buses run reasonably frequently Monday to Saturday, but if the weather is poor it certainly helps. Best to book accommodation before arriving, especially if on a holiday weekend.

Mentioned in this post
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Isle of Arran
Isle of Arran
Scotland, UK
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Arran