We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midge situation

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
619 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Midge situation

Hi, experts,

We're considering a week+ in the far north -- would really like to spend 4-5 days in the Orkneys. My dh has early onset Alzheimer's and while he's still a good traveler, he tends to obsess about small stuff -- like mosquitoes. That's why I'm not going to the west coast.

We'll be traveling late June early July. Thoughts on those cute little creatures, the midge?

Thankyou.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,836 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midge situation

Midges tend to come out in still, damp conditions. I've been to Orkney a couple of times and never encountered anything resembling still conditions.

I may be wrong but I think you'll be unlucky to see many midges. In any case, take some repellent (Avon 'Skin so Soft' is ofetn recommended ) to allay your concerns.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,847 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Midge situation

Any midge brave enough to come out would be blown half way to Norway before it had any chance to bite anyone

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Midge situation

Hi

"cute little creatures" - hmmmm.

I didn't notice them as being a problem when I was there in July - I think the wind blew them away. (generally if the wind is above a certain speed - or you are walking fast enough - they are not a problem).

Also I don't think there's as much of the heather they seem to breed in on Orkney as there is on the west.

You might find the odd friendly flying critter, but I wouldn't worry too much.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Midge situation

We did not run into midges on the two trips that I 've been on to the Orkney's and parents and my sister didn't have trouble with them on their trips either. You will wonderful time in Orkney if you go. Be sure to visit South Ronaldsay as well as all the sights on the Mainland of Orkney. If you haven't already found it do explore this web site. http://www.visitorkney.com/. Another great site developed and maintained by Sigurd Towriehttp://www.orkneyjar.com. It's a great site with lots of info about Orkney and some pictures. Pam

Stromness, Orkney...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Midge situation

Hi - midges are not a problem worth considering here - that is one big (or is it tiny?) reason why we moved here - as opposed to the west coast.

In summer think of breezes instead of gales - but enough to exceed to 4mph that grounds tiny flies! They also do not appreciate the much lower rainfall in Orkney, so they just do not figure in our outdoor concerns (electric fences are more of a problem!).

I do a lot of outdoor stuff - and have had a couple of days a year where it has been still and midges have pestered me - but this has been on Hoy.

I never even consider any sort of repellent or other such stuff - so have no fear.

Best wishes

Malcolm

6. Re: Midge situation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 January 2009, 18:01
Orphir, United...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Midge situation

Hi Mench,

We went on holiday to Westray last year and we were bothered all the time with midges we were all badly bitten especially the children. Orkney tends to see midges in the countryside and not in the towns. We also had a problem with midges last year on Hoy and Rousay too. They are all Islands though. I have never been bothered with them in Kirkwall or Stromness. We live in the countryside by the sea in Orkney we have problems with midges end of August and beginning of September if there is no wind and it is a beautiful day, only though if it has been raining and the grass around is wet.

We tend really only to have problem with midges if there has been a very hot and dry summer. Then at the end of August beginning of September there will be many around where we stay. Not sure about the towns then as we live in the countryside by the sea.

We live in Orkney and in the above dates our children wear midge repelent. We like shoooooo you can buy it from any chemists especially boots the chemist. There are many repelents though this won is just one we prefer.

Best wishes

HBL

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,836 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Midge situation

Just to put things in context, HBL.... how many "very hot, dry summers" has Orkney experienced recently? :-)

Orphir, United...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Midge situation

Hi Peter,

Three since I have stayed here. That's quite a lot for Orkney.

Best wishes

HBL

North Carolina
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Midge situation

My husband and I were there in late July last year, the end of a month long journey all around Scotland. Orkney was the only place we encountered midges. Specifically, we noticed them most neat the Ring of Brodger, the Stones of Stenness, and the Tomb of the Eagles. Midges or not, these were worth the irritation!

Get answers to your questions about Orkney Islands