We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide books and beginning to plan

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,293 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Guide books and beginning to plan

Hello,

I am considering a holiday in Orkney next year.

Before I start, can anyone recommend any good guide books or websites to help with my planning? I borrowed a couple of UK/Scotland guide books from the library but they didn't give much information about Orkney.

I have already found www.visitorkney.com

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,792 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guide books and beginning to plan

Rough Guide to Scottish Highlands & Islands.

There should be recommendations for sites on old posts on the Orkney forum.

It's an amazing place!

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Guide books and beginning to plan

For general information:

Scottish Island Book 2 Orkney and Shetland by James and Deborah Penrith. Vacation Work Publications

amazon.co.uk/Orkney-Shetland-Scottish-Island…

This is one of the best guide books around.

For detailed information of the sites:

Exploring Scotland's Heritage Orkney by Anna Richie. The Stationery Office

amazon.co.uk/Exploring-Scotlands-Commission-…

DO NOT BOTHER WITH

Walks in Orkney by Mary Walsh. It is full of flowering descriptions but route finding details are poor as are the maps. Even with the OS 1:25,000maps we had problems following her routes and began to wonder how long ago it was she walked them....

It is worthwhile buying (or borrowing copies) of the OS 1:50,000 maps and if you are planning to walk the 1;25,0000 explorer Maps.

Spend some time (actually several hours as you begin more detailed research) on this web site:

http://www.orkneyjar.com/

It is the most amazing resource of information covering many aspects of Orkney you won't find elsewhere.

I assume you have sent off for the relevant literature from Orkney Tourist Information Office?

Bristol
Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guide books and beginning to plan

The very best piece of advice I can give you is to book a local guide for a tour of Orkney.

This is what we did and it meant that we got to see (and understand) so many places that we would never have found on our own.

Even if you just take a tour of Orkney for one day of your trip, it will be money well spent.

Have a look at the company we used www.orkneyaspects.co.uk - our guide Pat Stone was excellent, informative and great fun - I can recommend her heartily.

4. Re: Guide books and beginning to plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Orkney Islands