We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orkney tour for kids?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Orkney tour for kids?

Hi,

I am hoping to bring my boys (ages 9-6) to visit Scotland in the summer of 2012 or 2013. Are there any tours (I would not feel comfortable driving) that anyone would recommend for us to take. I would like to spend about 3 days in Orkney Islands. What would be the best places to go and which company would you recommend for a kid friendly tour?

Thanks!

Bristol
Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orkney tour for kids?

Hello

I would take a look at Orkney Aspects, www.orkneyaspects.co.uk

We have used them a couple of times and Pat always excels, she makes the Orkney history and landscape come alive and our 8 year old son just loved the tales she had to tell of Vikings and warriors.

Hope you enjoy Orkney

Tony

Edited: 24 December 2011, 19:15
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
17,928 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orkney tour for kids?

and be sure to include The Brough of Birsay on your tour I am sure the kids will love the tidal causeway etc. tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186563-d2…

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Orkney tour for kids?

Don't completely discount hiring a car. Driving on Orkney is very different to driving elsewhere in UK. There is very little traffic and everyone is well behaved and considerate. Map reading isn't much of a problem as all the major sights are well signed. It will give you the flexibility to go at your own speed and stop when and where the fancy takes you.

There is lots of information on the web so yo don't really need a guide. A good place to start is here:

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usmapindexes/orkn…

This website is also fascinating and has loads and laods of information about things the guide books don't cover:

http://www.orkneyjar.com/

You will need to allow plenty of time though as there is so much information on the site.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orkney tour for kids?

Thanks for all the advice! I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

5. Re: Orkney tour for kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2013, 10:20
Get answers to your questions about Orkney Islands