We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can the Brough of Deerness only be accessed at low tide?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Can the Brough of Deerness only be accessed at low tide?

Hi. I want to visit the Brough of Deerness and from what I can tell the path is pretty sketchy. Is it recommended only to visit during low tide because of the difficult path necessary to reach it? I know the Brough of Birsay is low tide only but I was wondering if the Brough of Deerness is low tide only too, or if it can be accessed during high tide. Thank you for your help!

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
20,318 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can the Brough of Deerness only be accessed at low tide?

It would have to be a very high tide to cut off access to The Broch Of Deerness.........the whole area is stunning so be sure to allow yourselves a good couple of hours to explore.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can the Brough of Deerness only be accessed at low tide?

Ok thank you very much!

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,318 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can the Brough of Deerness only be accessed at low tide?

you're very welcome and have a magical trip :-)

p.s. The Brough Of Birsay is definitely two hours either side of low tide though as it is a tidal Island

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,318 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can the Brough of Deerness only be accessed at low tide?

Okay so this question was annoying me as I could picture the path in my head but my photo's didn't show the full path and as much as I racked my brains I was only 99% sure about my answer. I am visiting Orkney at the moment so late this afternoon (and hardly a cloud in the sky) I decided to go and re-check........and phew my memory was right. It would have to be a serious storm and high tide to cut the broch off, although having said that I wouldn't be heading anywhere near it in a storm anyway :-)

p.s. Also be sure to read up on the story of the Covenanters who were imprisoned at Greyfriars Cemetry in Edinburgh before being put on a boat to America which sank just off Deerness and where a monument now stands.

5. Re: Can the Brough of Deerness only be accessed at low tide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2014, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Orkney Islands