We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to base ourselves in the Orkneys and is a week enough

Rehovoth, Israel
Level Contributor
104 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
where to base ourselves in the Orkneys and is a week enough

My husband and I are planning a holiday for August. At the moment we are thinking of a week in the Orkneys and a week in the Shetland Islands. But we are open to suggestions, if people think this is not long enough to stay in the Orkneys.

What we usually like to do is to base ourselves in a B and B for a week, and then each day go out walking or on some kind of excursion. Does this kind of plan "work" for the Orkneys, and if so, what would be a good place to base ourselves?

We are thinking of flying to the Orkneys, and then renting a car, which I assume is necessary.

1. Re: where to base ourselves in the Orkneys and is a week enough

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 April 2013, 15:35
Rehovoth, Israel
Level Contributor
104 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to base ourselves in the Orkneys and is a week enough

Thanks a lot - this is very helpful. I will start doing more research and then probably get back to you with more questions.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
22,069 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to base ourselves in the Orkneys and is a week enough

I would definitely go for hiring a car and would base myself either in Kirkwall or Stromness either of which would be great as a base.......I have posted a few snaps from Orkney on my Flickr page if you want a nosey and any questions at all just ask flickr.com/photos/…

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to base ourselves in the Orkneys and is a week enough

Hiring a car would definitely help, although as cash strapped students we spent a very happy week hiring bikes and using buses. I agree with Goanjock that Kirkwall or Stromness would be the best bases - possibly Kirkwall a better choice to stay, but definitely visit Stromness.

It is definitely worth visiting the islands off the mainland - Hoy in particular is spectacular, but there is just something magical about Orkney.

and sorry, I've not - yet - been to Shetland, so can't advise!

St Margaret's Hope...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to base ourselves in the Orkneys and is a week enough

Well, it isn't really long enough in either group of islands! You don't have to have a car to get around in Orkney but if time is short, then it's a good idea. If you like walking, I suggest that you DON'T stay in either Kirkwall or Stromness, but get a B&B out in the countryside and then visit the towns when the weather is poor. There are plenty of excellent B&Bs in a variety of locations. In addition to seeing Mainland (as the main island is called) I would take a day to visit one of the islands - Hoy as mentioned in another answer if you like big hills and cliffs. Maybe Rousay for its quiet and archaeology - there's lots to choose from and if you catch the ferry, the travelling is a treat too. The VisitScotland website has lots more info.

6. Re: where to base ourselves in the Orkneys and is a week enough

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Orkney Islands
Recent Conversations