We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Without car April or May?

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Without car April or May?

Debating whether to take Rabbies tour from Edinburgh or use public transport to do on my own. Have on previous trips to Scotland made my way around using trains, buses etc. But Orkney looks like it might be a little more complex and take longer than using Rabbies. Any thoughts about this welcomed.

Other question is whether much difference in weather between mid-April and mid-May given the unpredictable factor to begin with?

1. Re: Without car April or May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 July 2013, 23:05
Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Without car April or May?

Thanks for your thoughts.

London, United...
Level Contributor
344 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Without car April or May?

I would recommend that you do the tour by yourself. It is more fun and you can choose the places that you want to go to and how many minutes to spare for each activity.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Without car April or May?

Any suggestions on the logistics wo a car in April or May using Edinburgh as a starting point? Hiring a private guide doesn't fit my budget and public transport in the area at that time of year seems to operate on a reduced schedule.

California
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Without car April or May?

You might fly to Orkney on Flybe Air and find a local guide or simply a taxi that will take you to points of interest. Check out the Orkney Tourist Website and expecially, "Getting Around". I actually flew and used a private guide for my trip since I was on a tight time schedule.

http://www.visitorkney.com/placestovisit/

I checked out the Rabbie's tour. It would give you the opportunity to visit many areas of Scotland. The pace isn't too hurried and they include stops a lots of interesting places. I have taken day trips with Rabbie's and highly recommend them on that basis.

California
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Without car April or May?

The weather is cannot be predicted. It will be hot or cold and wet or dry or a combination of these. And, there is a strong wind most of the time. I am not sure It makes any difference. The days I was there it was windy and rainy part of the time and quite cool. It kept lots of tourists away so we had the ruins to ourselves. And seeing the Neolithic ruins in that weather added dramatically to the experience. Just prepare yourself for a range of weather conditions and you should be fine.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Without car April or May?

Thanks-having been to Scotland a couple of times I do go prepared for rainy coolish weather. I will likely stick with Rabbie's as more interested in natural scenery and people than archeological ruins in depth. The Rabbies Orkney tour also goes across north for overnight in Ullapool which appeals to me. Not ruling out the doing it on my own option and leaving decision to early 2014 when dates firm up.

8. Re: Without car April or May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 06:17