We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly or ferry?

London, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
370 reviews
Save Topic
Fly or ferry?

We are in our mid 60s. Have never been to Orkneys before. We are looking to travel in June or July 2014. As yet, first thought is whether to fly (and where from) or self drive via ferry (probably via shortest route). We are open to driving from London and making a long holiday of it (can leave car at airport) or flying up.

We plan to have up to a week on the Islands, based on Mainland primarily

Thoughts please

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Mainland
Mainland
Orkney Islands, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,035 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly or ferry?

www.hial.co.uk/kirkwall-airport/destinations/

I'd suggest the Caledonian Sleeper to Inverness then either fly, take the train to Thurso or bus. Hire a car once on the islands

http://www.visitorkney.com/gettinghere.asp

Mentioned in this post
Caledonian Sleeper
Caledonian Sleeper
124 Reviews
Scottish Highlands, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Thurso
Thurso
Caithness and Sutherland, UK
Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly or ferry?

I prefer the ferry as the sunset views approaching the island are exceptional. The flights are overly expensive from anywhere as non-islanders don't get the government subsidy. The food in the Kirkwall hotel is very good but I would advise booking a table in advance as it's very busy in the summer. The Dil Se Indian restaurant along the harbour is very good as well. You will love the island, especially in the summer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly or ferry?

Thanks.

Concerned about the weather by sea even from Thurso, as not good sailors.

Would it be better to take car ferry or passenger ferry (and hire once there)?

Mentioned in this post
Thurso
Thurso
Caithness and Sutherland, UK
Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly or ferry?

http://www.orkneycarhire.co.uk

It's not that choppy a sailing to be honest. The northlink boats are very well stabilised anyway. It's entirely up to you how you want to do. I'd personally take my own car and limit that expense. Phone up the above and compare the overall costs ?

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
23,408 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly or ferry?

The quickest route with the least time out on the "open sea" is with Pentland Ferries from Gills Bay. I have made the crossing with them many ,many times and at all times of the year and have probably only had one rough crossing in all that time. I would go with taking your own car.

p.s. we may have just been on a bad night but The Dil Se is the worst Indian Restaurant I have ever eaten in (also the photo in the window seemingly having Gordon Ramsay endorsing the restaurant was actually taken in a restaurant in Inverness which has now closed down)

Mentioned in this post
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly or ferry?

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

Must have been a bad night. Most people don't get the connection with Bangladesh which is heavily influenced in the food, ie not Indian.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,408 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fly or ferry?

Alfa.....most of the "Indian" restaurants in the North of Scotland are Bangladeshi so I very much know the difference between the two styles of cooking. As I said it may have been a bad night (and I said so in my review) but it was the worst Indian/Bangladeshi/Pakistani Restaurant I have ever eaten in. The photo was actually taken at the now closed down Jeera (which was also Bangladeshi) Restaurant in Inverness.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fly or ferry?

Thanks, all. Food for thought.

Talking of food, did not expect recommendations (or otherwise) for dinner!

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,408 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fly or ferry?

lol :-) Just a quick add on the Pentland Ferry crossing takes about an hour and as I said a lot of that is between Islands rather than in the open sea if you know what I mean. Have a wonderful trip to a magical part of the world :-)

york
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
748 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fly or ferry?

We did the pentland ferry route this August and it was fine, not too choppy at all; plus you get to drive over the Churchill barriers; we had a fantastic time in Orkney, the people were so friendly. Please go and see the Italian chapel_ beyond amazing

Mentioned in this post
Orkney Islands
Orkney Islands
Scotland, UK
Get answers to your questions about Orkney Islands