We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two days in Perthshire with group

North Carolina
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Two days in Perthshire with group

We are a group of 24 adults,ranging in ages from 40-75, who are planning a two day bus tour of Perthshire as a culmination of a week of work outside of Glasgow. I have dutifully studied the guide books and internet to identify some interesting places to visit, but I would love to hear some insights from those of you who know this area inside and out. We are interested in history, archaeology, nature, good food, and good music. We will be staying overnight in Dunkeld. Thanks in advance for your help!

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two days in Perthshire with group

The Hermitage just outside of Dunkeld is a beautiful walk - look out for red squirrels.

The Taybank Hotel is Dunkeld is good for live music.

The cathedral in Dunkeld dates to the 15thC and is in a beautiflu spot. Take a trip to Edradour Distillery just outside Pitlochry - it is Scotland's smallest - go on a week day when they are making whisky. The tour is free and there is an interesting link to the Mafia in their history.

On Loch Tay at Kenmore there is the Crannog - a replica of an Iron Age stilt house.

While there take a trip to the pretty village of Fortingall and visit the yew tree - reputed to be the oldest living thing in Europe.

Aberfeldy - nice walk at the Birk's of Aberfeldy. Wade's Bridge and the site of the founding of the Black Watch - a famous Scottish regiment.

Just a few random thoughts at the moment Shailey hoep they give you a few ideas!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Two days in Perthshire with group

Thanks for your suggestions. I think theis is going to be a great location to see some gorgeous scenery. The Taybank sounds like fun. I have enjoyed getting to know Dougie McLean's music, especially Caledonia. Are there any restaurants you would recommend that could accomodate a group of this size easily?

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two days in Perthshire with group

I was in the Taybank on Sunday with a group of 25 - they laid on a meal for us upstairs.

The hotel is in need of some refurbishment though but the food was tasty.

There is also the Atholl Arms

www.athollarmshotel.com

Dunkeld Hilton House

www.hilton.co.uk/dunkeld

and the Royal Dunkeld

www.royaldunkeld.co.uk

I have not eaten at any of these lately so not sure which would be best.

4. Re: Two days in Perthshire with group

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2009, 05:38
Get answers to your questions about Perth and Kinross