We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay?

En route to visiting friends in Stonehaven, we want to stay for two nights somewhere within walking or short taxi ride from a train station on the Perth/ Inverness line. We plan to spend the day on a longish walk, but not too strenuous. We are looking for a village with a choice of accommodation and somewhere to eat. Pitlochry and Aviemore look promising. Please can you give me your views on these two places for what we gave in mind, or is there anywhere else you can suggest? Thanks for your help.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
123 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

Perth itself is a nice wee town (it's called a city now but in reality it's a wee town) if you want more options with regard to restaurants but Aviemore is also a decent option and you'll have more choice of walks there.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,561 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

I'd pick either Pitlochry or Dunkeld. There are some lovely walks around both. Lots of restaurants in Pitlochry. I've only eaten in pubs in Dunkeld but they were fine

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

Thanks. We've settled on Aviemore as the accommodation seemed good value - fingers crossed the weather wil be kind for a good days walking

4. Re: Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2015, 08:15