We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blairgowrie area

New South Wales
Level Contributor
170 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Blairgowrie area

Daughter and I visited this area ancestor hunting last spring, managed a quick drive through Perth out to see graves in Glenshee churchyard and fell in love with the area. I've since found out the ancestor worked in Blairgowrie as a blacksmith and in a mill called "Oakbank" and eventually named his property in Aus after it.

I've seen there is still an Oakbank street in Blairgowrie. As my daughter is living in Edinburgh at the moment, she hoped there may be some part still standing she could visit. Anyone have any information about the Oakbank Mill?

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
660 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blairgowrie area

Oakbank Mill is still standing - but is closed to the public.

Park at Riverside carpark (Cargills, Antique centre) and walk along the river ericht walk - this will take you past cargills leap to a bridge, Oakbank Mill is just past the bridge.

If you google Oakbank Mill, Blairgowrie you will get a photo of the building.

On wednesdays a 'blether' session used to happen in the victoria hotel (approx. 11am) - when I am back from holiday I will check and let you know.

Mostly they 'blether' (talk) about the past and some one might know about the mills.

Also Blairgowrie library has a geneology advisor on some afternoons - they might be able to help with more info on the family

New South Wales
Level Contributor
170 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blairgowrie area

Thank you tom. Have just looked at Oakbank Mill photo and saw it was in better condition than I imagined for something 2 centuries old! Daughter has just found a job in Edinburgh so any trips must now be confined to weekends and car availability.

Through your suggestions I have just solved a family mystery: Why did James Lamond (the ancestor in question) name his son David Grimmond Lamond? We had never heard of that name. While searching for information on Oakbank Mill I discovered that several of the Blairgowrie Mills in the early 1800 - 1830s were owned by members of the Grimmond family - with Oakbank being run by David Grimmond!! James must have had fond memories of Blairgowrie to name one son after the Grimmonds and to name his farm in Australia "Oakbank". Thanks again.

New South Wales
Level Contributor
170 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blairgowrie area

My daughter is finishing her temporary job in Edinburgh Xmas eve and wants to get up to Blairgowrie to see the mill in early January. She said she has been trying to find Hostels either in Blairgowrie or Perth without luck. Any suggestions? She won't have a car this time.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blairgowrie area

No hostels in either location I'm afraid.

Perhaps she would be better looking for a single room in a B&B - if you phone the tourist office in Blairgowrie they will be able to give you information on suitable accommodation.

01250 872960 or email blairgowrie@visitscotland.com

Tom Junior will probably have suggestions as well - you could stay at his property although I think it is in Alyth not Blairgowrie :-)

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
660 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blairgowrie area

Agree with fofoma - sorry no hostels in the area.

Best bet is calling the local TIC (tourist office) or

check if Heathpark House is open 01250 870700

very nice B&B - though not very cheap.

Sorry can't offer a bed in January - we are closed for a bit of painting, cleaning and a short holiday.

New South Wales
Level Contributor
170 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blairgowrie area

Thanks so much Fofoma and Tomjunior - I'll pass it on to her.

7. Re: Blairgowrie area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 17:17
Get answers to your questions about Perth