We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Days trips from Perth?

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hyde Park, Utah
9 posts
Save Topic
Days trips from Perth?

We will be staying in Perth for 2 or 3 days and would like to visit the Isle of Skye by way of the Mallaig ferry on one day and Loch Awe, Oban and Glencoe the next. Is it possible to do these as a day trip? I'm also looking for suggestions for other day trips from Perth. We are mostly interested in the scenery along with a Castle or two.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Days trips from Perth?

Assuming this is the summer and not the winter, then it's possible to do Oban and Glencoe as a day trip as long as you don't mind seeing much of it through the car windscreen rather than being out and in it.

I think Skye will be a waste of time as it's such a big island. You're not going to have time in a day trip to see much of it.

I don't understand why you're basing yourself in Perth. If you're planning all these day trips you're not going to be actually spending any time in Perth.

Why not miss out Perth and drive (via Glencoe and the Mallaig ferry) to Skye and spend a couple of days there?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,598 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Days trips from Perth?

Perth to Skye and back is a 9 hour trip without stops so no I don't think this is feasible in a day.

I would say Perth to Crief then Glencoe then to Inverary (perhaps see the castle there although more of a large mansion than castle). Then back to Perth, possibly via Kenmore.

If you want to see a proper castle then just drive to Stirling. also see the Wallace monument. That will take you most of the day.

As much as I love Glasgow I don't think you have time to see it so unless you have specific requirements to go there then skip it.

Another day you could take a trip through the Cairngorm National Park via Pitlochry & Breamar

Hyde Park, Utah
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Days trips from Perth?

Thank you both so much for your input. We were considering Perth because we have Hilton Hotel points but have found that there is a Hilton Hotel in Aviemore which is a bit more central. That being said, we are totally re-thinking our itinerary. We have put together 3 options and would love any suggestions concerning routes, driving times, sights to see (or not to see) and B&B's in the Glencoe or Oban area. We are very interested in the beautiful scenery and historic sites but just one or two (proper) castles. I'm sure 5-7 days is not nearly enough time but we'll have to come back as we really want to spend more time in The Highlands. Thanks again!

ITINERARY #1 5 DAYS

arrive edinburgh-stay for night (by train from london – 4 ½ hours)

day 1 roslyn castle, whitburn church 18 miles

drive to aviemore via a-9 a few stops along the way 130 miles 3-4 hrs

aviemore hilton-stay the next two nights

day 2 in aviemore – culloden, cawdor castle, forres, lossiemouth

return to aviemore – stay the night

day 3 aviemore to glencoe or oban. sight seeing along the way 110 miles 3-4 hrs

stay the night

day 4 glencoe/oban to glasgow. sight seeing along the way 100 miles 3-4 hrs

stay the night

day 5 glasgow to london (by train – 4 ½ hours)

itinerary #2 6 days

aviemore hilton-stay the next three nights

day 3 in aviemore - rest day – stay the night

day 4 aviemore to glencoe or oban. sight seeing along the way 110 miles 3-4 hrs

stay the night

day 5 glencoe/oban to glasgow. sight seeing along the way 100 miles 3-4 hrs

stay the night - hilton

day 6 glasgow to london (by train – 4 ½ hours)

scotland 2013 (con’t)

itinerary #3 7 days

aviemore hilton-stay the next three nights

day 3 in aviemore - rest day – stay the night

day 4 aviemore to glencoe or oban. sight seeing along the way 110 miles 3-4 hrs

stay the night (2 nights)

day 5 glencoe/oban sight seeing

stay the night

day 6 glencoe/oban to glasgow. sight seeing along the way 100 miles 3-4 hrs

stay the night

day 7 glasgow to london (by train – 4 ½ hours)

Hyde Park, Utah
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Days trips from Perth?

Sorry, I should probably mention we will be in Scotland in Mid May.

Thanks!

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Days trips from Perth?

There's no Hilton in Perth so don't think that was ever going to be a go-er.

Your itinerary sounds busy but fun! Expect all kinds of weather in May ;-)

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Days trips from Perth?

Doable. You will probably find that your driving times become longer as you want to stop all sorts of places to take in the views! The 7 day option will undoubtedly give you the most time to enjoy what's on offer. How about using an extra night in Edinburgh? As it is, you will spend very little time in our lovely capital. (Perhaps by design?!)

Abs :)

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Days trips from Perth?

What's the story with Whitburn Church. Whitburn's not normally on the tourist trail

Hyde Park, Utah
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Days trips from Perth?

Thank you for your very helpful replies. My mistake, the Hilton we are considering is actually in Dunkeld. As suggested by Abs140, we have added a day in Edinburgh. Great idea. Concerning Whitburn Church, family history shows that our great grandmother, Jane Muir along with her mother and 6 siblings emigrated from Scotland to the US in 1866. Her mother, Mary Bell married Walter Muir at Rosslyn Chapel in 1835, hence the visit there. They had 12 children, 3 of which died young and are buried in the Cemetery at Whitburn Parish Church. Walter died in 1860 and is also buried there. We had hoped to tour Rowallan Castle as it is deep in Muir Clan history, but we can't be there on May 12th which is the only tour date in May. I'm going to call to see if they might take mercy on us and let us peek. You probably didn't need the long answer :)

Once again we are mixing up our itinerary. We love to hike and have heard such great things about the Isle of Skye and the beautiful scenery. Will you take a look at the following itinerary and share your thoughts? We are in fairly good shape for girls in their early 50's, but we don't want to hurt ourselves :) Any recommendations on where to stay in Glencoe/Oban and the Isle of Skye?

The input I have received from all of you has been incredibly helpful! Thank you so much!

Scotland May, 2013

Edinburgh – Dunkeld - Isle Of Skye - Glasgow

Tuesday, May 14th – Arrive In Edinburgh

Day 1 Tuesday Edinburgh – Stay The Night

Hilton Hotel (Points)

Day 2 Wednesday Edinburgh – Stay The Night

Rosslyn Chapel/Whitburn Church – Family History

Day 3 Thursday Drive To Dunkheld - Hilton (60 Miles 2hrs) - Stay The Night

See sights along the way

Day 4 Friday Dunkheld Hilton – Stay The Night

Day Trip – to Oban (90 miles one-way)/Glencoe Loop

Day 5 Saturday Dunkheld Or Aviemore – Stay The Night

Day Trip

Day 6 Sunday Drive To Mallaig Ferry To Isle Of Skye (170 Miles 4hrs) – Stay The Night

Day Trip

Day 7 Monday Isle Of Skye – Stay The Night

Day Trip

Day 8 Tuesday Drive To Glasgow (200 Miles 5hrs)

Day 9 Wednesday Leave for London

Another option would be to stay only 2 nights in Dunkeld and 3 on the Isle of Skye or 2 nights in Dunkeld, 2 in Skye and 1 near Glencoe to break up the drive from Skye to Glasgow.

We might need to cut one day so we can leave for London on Tuesday. Which place would be best to cut?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Days trips from Perth?

If staying in Dunkeld it makes sense to head SW past Stirling and then take the road towards Glencoe.

If staying further North, there is a road from Dalwhinnie on the A9 heading westwards to Spean Bridge, which would make sense for a drive to Mallaig.

If even further north, Inverness, there are roads heading west from there to Kyle of Lochalsh which brings you on to SKye via the bridge.

Skye is a big place. I would spend more time there than in Dunkeld. However Dunkeld itself is a nice small town. There's a good cafe near the Cathedral, and a short distance out of town you have the Loch of the Lowes with a vistor centre where you will likely see Osprey, Red Squirrels, and all manner of small woodland birds scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/visit/loch-of-t…

I woud be tempted to make a circular route out of this rather than doubling back. For example Edinburgh - Dunkeld - Inverness - Kyle - Skye - Mallaig - Glencoe - Oban - Loch Lomond - Glasgow. Just a thought.

I would not head for Oban then return to Dunkeld, then later head to Skye - lots more mileage than is necessary, IMO. Your journey South from Skye to Glasgow will take you through Glencoe anyway and you can easily get to Oban from there, following the coastline. This is probably not clear from a basic roadmap.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Days trips from Perth?

Derek's suggestion is a good one. Your proposed route involves a lot if cross crossing and doubling back - a circuit would be much more efficient and minimise unnecessary time behind the wheel. Dunkeld is a great little spot to stop. It is tiny, but very quaint and will show you a different kind of highland village and scenery, compared to the more rugged windswept beauty of the west coast.

If you know Shakespeare's Macbeth - the Dunkeld/Birnam area is where the climatic scenes take place.

Oh and in Dunkeld, visit Howies tearoom for a great coffee and homebaked doughnut!

Abs :)

Get answers to your questions about Perth