We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week or so in Scotland

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oviedo, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
A week or so in Scotland

We have booked a week at the Kanmore Club in Perthshire from April 28 to May 5th, 2014. We are considering adding a few days before or after to stay in a B&B and perhaps see a different area of Scotland. Any suggestions as to what is feasible to see in a week from Perthshire and what other area would be good to visit for another 2 or 3 nights? My husband would love to play golf along the way and is considering 3 rounds at Gleneagles. We would also love to visit as many whisky distilleries as possible. We aren't sure of what is possible in day trips without spending all of our time in the car. A castle or two along the way would also be of interest. Thanks.

12 replies to this topic
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week or so in Scotland

Kenmore?

If you work on the basis that 100 miles will take you 2 - 2 1/2 hours, that will give you access to large parts of Scotland.

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp will help in working out routes, and might google mapping.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ will give lots of ideas, region by region.

The gleneagles trip will most likely be via a cross-country route (Aberfeldy, Crieff) and will take only 40 miles but coming on for 1 1/2 hours.

If you're looking for a second venue I presume you want somewhere that contrasts completely with the week you've booked?

One possibility is head for Grantown or Nairn - Speyside being packed with disilleries.

ANother would be to head west to either Islay or Skye

ANother would be to stay in Edinburgh for a few days - simply because its different and historic.

You can easily work out likely travel times between Kenmore and these places.

WHat's the context? Where do you fly into /leave from? WHat else is on the list?

CAstles are no problem - undiscoveredscotland lists hundreds.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week or so in Scotland

Some castles and palaces to consider:

Blair Castle

Scone Palace

Glamis Castle

Falkland Palace

Doune Castle

Stirling Castle

Edinburgh Castle

Dunnottar Castle

Oviedo, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week or so in Scotland

Thank you so much for your suggestions. We have now booked our flights and we are flying into Heathrow with 3 or 4 days to get to Perthshire. Any suggestions for B&B's along the way? We will be in Kenmore time shares for a week and then have another 10 days to return to Heathrow. Now we will be looking at visiting a bit of England and possibly several other areas in Scotland. We would like to stay in various B&Bs and farmhouses. Any suggestions?

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,137 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week or so in Scotland

It depends which areas of Scotland you plan on visiting. There is little point in suggesting somewhere if its miles away from where you want to be.

If your husband is a golfer it would be a shame to come all the way to Scotland and not at least set foot in the home of golf (St. Andrews) plus its an interesting city with loads to see and do.

…undiscoveredscotland.com/standrews/…

This website will give you a bit of an idea of the geography of the Speyside area - whisky galore!

http://www.greaterspeyside.com/

What a shame you are wasting time (?driving) all the way from London Heathrow to Perthshire. Why not fly to Edinburgh and save some time?

Woody x

Oviedo, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week or so in Scotland

Thank you for all of your advice. We will be arriving in Heathrow on a Thursday night. We will look for accomodations in that area and leave for Scotland on Friday. We check in Kenmore on Monday. Any suggestions for where to stay Friday, Saturday and Sunday night on our way up? A visit to Stonehenge is a must. Is there much to see of Hadrians wall?

We have never been to England or Scotland so we would like to visit some of England on the way up and back but want to be mostly in Scotland.

Once in Kenmore, we will make day trips to Edinburgh, Gleneagles, St Andrews.We will be in Kenmore for a whole week.

We still have 12 nights to return to Heathrow. Thinking of heading to Grantown for 2-3 nights to visit whisky distilleries. Then possible a night or two in Skye then on to Glencoe, Oban and Loch Lomond and Glasgow. Any suggestions on where we should look for B&Bs or farmhouses and how many nights to stay in each area?

We would like to spend some time on our return visiting a few areas in England, perhaps Bath or Oxford.

Trying to plan accomodations when we are not familiar with two countries is a bit difficult. We don't want to just drive the whole time but would like to experience different areas with several rounds of golf and taking in many distileries and a few a castles along the way.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Crathie
Level Contributor
836 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A week or so in Scotland

Is there much to see of Hadrian’s Wall?

http://www.visithadrianswall.co.uk/

There certainly is and I suggest you visit Steel Rigg which is easily accessible by car and you can get right up to the wall and walk beside it. The views are dramatic – look at Google images to see what I mean. Then it’s a short drive to Vindolanda which I thoroughly recommend, even in the rain.

http://www.vindolanda.com/

You can purchase a joint ticket to Vindolanda and the Roman Army Museum and do both in one day and have lunch or dinner at the Twice Brewed Inn. At one time they even served a beer named after Maximus Decimus Meridius :-) If you eat there, don’t forget to ask for a pin for the map!

I have also visited Housesteads Roman Fort which I enjoyed, but have to say I preferred Vindolanda. It’s a bit more user-friendly. The walk from Housesteads car park and ticket office to the fort is uphill and takes about 15 minutes, whereas at Vindolanda it’s all on the flat and there is no distance involved. The museum at Vindolanda is much bigger.

english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/…

Hope this helps.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A week or so in Scotland

You could visit Oxford on your way north (use Oxford's Park and Ride service); stay overnight at Chester or Liverpool. Next day drive to the Lake District (eg Keswick) via the A591 and stay the night. Next day drive to Edinburgh via Hadrian's Wall and stay the night; then on to Kenmore. That's if you want to stay in three different places over three nights.

An alternate route: drive to York, stay the night; drive to Edinburgh via Hadrian's Wall; stay two nights; then on to Kenmore.

I have stayed in Sefton Villa B&B in Liverpool (very good; off-street parking); Brookfield Guest House in Keswick (good; parking on the street nearby) and Doris Crook B&B in Edinburgh (also very good, with off-street parking). Look at the reviews of B&B's on TripAdvisor for the places you're thiniking of staying.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A week or so in Scotland

Kenmore is a lovely place but don't expect to be able to average 50/60 miles per hour in that area. The roads are OK but mostly single carriageway i.e. one lane in each direction and quite a bit with 30 or 40 mph limits. Just factor that into your travelling time. DerekG's observation about 1 1/2 hours to Gleneagles just 40 miles away is a good example of that. That said, the route shown when I looked shows 32 miles, but still 1hr 5 mins so averaging about 30 mph on either version.

Oviedo, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A week or so in Scotland

Wow, thank you all so very much for this great info. Knowing which areas to book a B&B or farmhouse and how many nights would be good to stay in each area really helps. Since we are planning three weeks it's a bit overwhelming. We have a week at a timeshare in Kenmore but nothing else booked as of now. I am trying to plan a route and places to stay. Thanks again!

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,137 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A week or so in Scotland

Grantown on Spey is a charming town with the usual local amenities like pubs, hotels, shops etc. not a lot of choice for eating out though. Takes about 4 hours to drive from Grantown to Skye because you WILL want to stop and take photos.The Studio Cafe is an excellent stopping point for lunch or a coffee.

…undiscoveredscotland.com/achnasheen/…

Nearby places to eat for Grantown would be Anderson's (Boat of Garten) Muchrach Lodge (Dulnain Bridge) Tigh na Sgiath (also Dulnain) and there are loads of places in Aviemore about 14 miles south of Grantown. In town there is an Indian restaurant and also a couple of good hotels (The Grant Arms and The Garth)

If you would like a bit of luxury Tigh na Sgiath may be just what you are looking for...

http://www.tigh-na-sgiath.co.uk/

Reply to: A week or so in Scotland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted