We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip and food budget questions...

Which Pitlochry hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip and food budget questions...

Hello all!

We were thinking of visiting Fort William during a day trip from Pitlochry (where we'll be staying for a few days). Is that too far, or ambitious, for a day trip?

I'm also trying to budget food/drink expenses for roughly 13 days (divided almost equally between Scotland and England). We'll most likely have breakfasts at hotels, B&B's, etc. So, I guess we'd probably look for one other meal per day (for two of us), and maybe a couple nights drinking at pubs. We don't need anything fancy. In fact, lively, but simple places would be ideal. Can anyone give us a good estimate on what to budget?

Oh, I have ONE more question. Sorry. Can anyone recommend a good, and affordable, fishing guide for a couple days in/around Pitlochry? The sources I'm finding online are a little expensive. Thought maybe someone "local" might have a better suggestion.

Thank you in advance...for all the time you spend answering our questions. It's very nice of you.

Jen

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,167 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip and food budget questions...

Weatherspoons is a pub chain which is pretty cheap for food and drinks so you might want to see if there are any in the locals you are visiting. They are not really common in the more remote areas as they are pile em high sell em cheap. Not gourmet but ok. They do meal deals like two fish and chips for £7 or a Sunday roast and a pint of beer for £4.49. Since the beer is normally over £2 thats a real bargain.

Most other local pubs will do bar lunches for £5- £8 per person and meals at night for a little bit more. Obviously you can find some really nice restaurants if you want to splash out.

Sorry can't answer your fishing question but it should only take you 2 hours to get to Fort William from Pitlochry (try http://www.uk.map24.com/? for a route planner)

Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip and food budget questions...

Thank you Ronaldo.

Your info was super helpful and specific. Gave me something to work with.

Thanks again,

Jen

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
656 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip and food budget questions...

Hello J,

Fisihing guides 'Ghillies' charge on average about £80 - £100 on the Tay for a days Salmon fishing (this does not include paying for the fishing permit for a particular bit of River - which can cost from £20 to £ 1000 per day).

Our local Tackle shop owner Kate Fleming might be able to give you some names/phone numbers for Pitlochry Ghillies

try her 0044 1250 873 990

alternatively

www.fishingnet.com

has lists of ghillies/places to fish etc.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip and food budget questions...

If you want to see fish, this site suggest 5,000 salmon climb the ladder at Pitlochry dam to get upstream to spawn......

http://www.flyfish-scotland.com/local.htm

Scottish rivers are amongst the most expensive rivers in the world to fish. You could try Ireland or Iceland for some that are more economical and liable to have fish in them....

Fort William is a town with lots of accommodation. Nothing to write home about, but it is surrounded by stunning scenery. You could have a wonderful circualr tour from Pitlochry. Do see Glencoe, and the mountains.

On the way, the Bridge of Orchy hotel (in Bridge of Orchy!) has good food.

Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip and food budget questions...

Thank you Tomjunior and Peterscot!

Y'all always have such helpful info. I'll contact Kate Flemming. And, I'll try the Bridge of Orchy Hotel, if we drive to Fort William. I couldn't tell if it were a place worth driving to see, or not.

Thanks, again, guys.

Jen

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
656 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip and food budget questions...

You are very welcome J...

if it's just a spot of fishing you are after (and not the 20lb salmon) check fishing in the lochs around pitlochry, it's a lot cheaper. You can take the trout home with you - and if you have a friendly landlady at the B&B - maybe have a nice fish dinner!

Unfortunately Salmon fishing is one of the most expensive sporting activities to be had in scotland - next to shooting grouse.

That works out to about £ 300 per bird if you don't own the estate

(then it costs probably something like a £500 per bird) .

Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip and food budget questions...

Tomjunior...

I'm actually still thinking about the advice you gave me on an earlier post (reg. Alyth and Tigh Na Leigh). I know I mentioned Pitlochry again this time, but I think we've finally decided against staying there, after all. Nothing like being wishy-washy!

Tigh Na Leigh does look wonderful, as it has the big bed and tub we'd like. But, I'm wondering what I might do, if my husband ends up fishing all day?? As we talked about earlier, I do like to walk and it sounds like there's plenty of that nearby. But, barring that, I'm not sure what else I'd do.

Anyway, as to the fishing...I'm glad you mentioned the less-expensive, loch fishing. After hearing how much it'll probably cost to fish, my husband told me he'd just skip it (which would be a bummer, indeed). He's not after any big prize. I think he'd be thrilled with some enjoyable casting, surrounded by lovely scenery. He doesn't eat fish, anyway. Can you recommend any particular hotel on or near a loch, for the type of fishing you mentioned? I'll contact Kate, like you suggested. But, I guess I'm back to "square one" again, regarding the location.

I know, such confusion, huh?!? But, you've helped me tons! Thanks.

Jen

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
656 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip and food budget questions...

Jen,

if you go into the fishingnet website and check tayside, you will find the rivers ericht and isla - this is where our local boys fish for salmon, sea trout and brown trout. Fishing permits are a lot cheaper - but depend on the 'beat' and the season. Lochs stocked with fish are within a 20 min drive, again brown trout and rainbow trout plenty.

Kate has all the info on this.

Do you drive? if yes - drop off your other half at his fishing place and go sightseeing, glamis castle, scone palace, dunkeld, dundee, perth are all within a 40min drive, walking in the glens is very nearby, the den of Alyth is a SSSI (special site of sientific interest) and the beaches (tentsmuir sands) are just across the tay from dundee - or along the coast Broughty Ferry Beach, Carnoustie, Montrose with the Basin for birdwatching - lots to do around here.

9. Re: Day trip and food budget questions...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 21:16
Get answers to your questions about Pitlochry