We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A review of a weekend in Pitlochry

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,655 posts
Save Topic
A review of a weekend in Pitlochry

We had a very nice short weekend in Pitolchry.

This was a short weekend for 2 middle aged male whisky lovers, a chance to get away from the pressures of work and to enjoy a relaxing time.

Staying in the MacDonald's B&B (see separate review) we had a most enjoyable time.

Took a train from Edinburgh Waverley to Pitlochry, travel time was about 2 hours. Arriving in the middle of the afternoon we checked into our accommodation and then went for a walk in the small town of Pitlochry.It is a very tourist orientated place with lots of shops bars etc.The town is a very attractive place and a winner of Scotland's Towns in Bloom awards.

Friday was spent just wandering and enjoying the fine weather. Friday evening took us to Scotland's Hotel for a very fine meal (haunch of Venison) and a few drinks. There are lots of bars to quench your thirst but we found most of them to be quite expensive even compared to big city prices.

Saturday morning rose bright sunny and very warm, after an excellent breakfast in the B&B we took the 2.5 mile walk up to the Edradour distillery, having visited this before a couple of years ago we knew what to expect but things have moved on apace with a new visitors reception, tasting bar and very nice shop. The Tour here is free and very good it is too, the smallest working distillery in Scotland but producing some of the finest whisky around; of course much money was spent in the shop buying whisky that is just not available anywhere else.

From Ardour we walked the mile or so to the small hamlet of Moulin where there is the Moulin Inn which dates back to 1695, it has its own micro- brewery, though we didn't get a tour of this we did have a beer or two in the Inn as well as a very fine meal (Venison again yum).well fed and watered we walked back to Pitlochry.

Now I know I motion a lot of walking but you can drive or cycle, we chose to walk as a way of relaxing and enjoying the countryside.

Once back in the Town we left our purchases in our B&B and then headed the 15 minutes or so walk to the Blair Athol distillery, a fine place this is and the tour is lead by a young Kilt clad local lad, a fine wee tour it was with a fine large dram at the end. This whisky is not widely known as a single malt as only 2%of it is sold as such, but it is better known as the main malt in the well known blended Bells whisky. They call Blair Athol the Heart of Bells.

The tour costs £5 but you do get a large dram and a £3 voucher towards a purchase of a bottle of malt...

Back to the B&B after all this fun to get changed and go out to watch the opening games of the European Football championship.

Watch the first game whilst enjoying a beer then headed to Scotland's hotel for an evening meal (Fish & chips) which was most enjoyable.

We can highly recommend the food in this establishment and the service was also excellent.

In the bar of the Hotel was a large Screen TV and we enjoyed the second game of the day from the European Championship.

After a few late drinks in a couple of other bars Fishers and Mackays (if I remember correctly) we headed back to the B&B just about exhausted.

Sunday Morning saw another lovely day and after another superb breakfast we checked out (the B&B looked after our bags till we were ready to collect them).

Headed out to the Dam and fish ladder and strolled about the place enjoying the great views and lovely weather, walked past the Pitlochry Theatre and over the suspension bridge back into the town.

Collected our bags and headed the short distance to the train Station to get the 11.20 train back to Edinburgh, a short but most enjoyable weekend away.

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
184 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A review of a weekend in Pitlochry

Uncle Gus,

Now that I've been there - I can imagine strolling through the town just as you described! :0)

The Dam & Fish ladder area is soo pretty!

Glad you had a great weekend!

Level Contributor
446 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A review of a weekend in Pitlochry

Unclegus, a fantastic report to whet the appetite of any visitors planning a trip to this beautiful part of Scotland. Will have to try Scotland's hotel for a meal after your hearty recommendation. My Dad is a whisky lover and I think he would love a weekend away like this!

Level Contributor
169 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A review of a weekend in Pitlochry

Oh how envious am I.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,926 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A review of a weekend in Pitlochry

Ahhhhh that sounded truly idyllic unclegus. Even as a non whisky drinker I enjoy distillery tours (I quite like the smell and I can manage a small sip or two).

I think your idea of doing it all on foot is the best way, especially in such an attractive part of the world.

Now if the distilleries could just be persuaded to give a generous discount to TA members........

A very enjoyable report indeed:-)

Inverness, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A review of a weekend in Pitlochry

Nice one, Ski!

6. Re: A review of a weekend in Pitlochry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 02:19
Get answers to your questions about Pitlochry