We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to do Blair Castle?

Which Pitlochry hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
How long to do Blair Castle?

How many hours of my itinerary should I reserve to see Blair Castle?

I'd be coming from Pitlochry and heading on to Inverness for the night. (Travelling by train). The Castle closes at 5:30 with last admittance at 4:30 - so I'm wondering what time I should leave Pitlochry (or plan to be in Blair Atholl) to give myself ample time to see the Castle.

Thanks.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,418 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to do Blair Castle?

This is a fabulous castle to visit. There are 30 rooms to see with all manner of historical artefacts. Of course, it depends on how much time you spend looking and reading all the exhibits. They also have lovely grounds. I'd say, at the minimum, at least 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,317 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to do Blair Castle?

I would agree- at least 1 1/2 hours for the castle and minimum of half hour- one hour for the grounds which are beautiful. Also very good tea shop.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to do Blair Castle?

Thank you! Do you know - would it be a long walk from the Blair Atholl train station?

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,418 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long to do Blair Castle?

According to theaa.com it's 1.1 miles from the train station. I've posted the link, hope it works for you.

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,418 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long to do Blair Castle?

Sorry, when you bring up the AA site, at the top where it says get route all you have to do is type in (from) Blair Atholl Railway Station (to) Blair Castle and you will get the route.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long to do Blair Castle?

The walk from the small station at Blair Atholl to the castle is;

Walk out of the station, turn right; go past the Atholl Arms (but do go in later); walk about another 250m; turn left through the big main entrance gates and up the main drive to the castle which is about another 500m or so.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long to do Blair Castle?

Fabulous - thanks all!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long to do Blair Castle?

It's an easy walk. I actually left my luggage at the hotel near the train station. I was there in the off season though.

Pam

9. Re: How long to do Blair Castle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2009, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Pitlochry