We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you buy paisley shawls in Paisley?

Which Paisley hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
Can you buy paisley shawls in Paisley?

I am going to Scotland this June and plan to go

to Glasgow. I've been reading about the textile industry

in Paisley that produced Paisley shawls, the collection

in the museum, and that the industry has declined today.

But, can one still purchase Paisley shawls in Paisley?

Are there any shops that sell them? And are there any

charming places to eat there on a daytrip from Glasgow

to see the Cathedral and Museum -- and shop?

Thank you.

TwinkDallas

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you buy paisley shawls in Paisley?

Not that I know of. Visit the weavers cottage as well as museum, very interesting.

scotland
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you buy paisley shawls in Paisley?

There is a display of paisley shawls and the weavers industry running at paisley museum just now. Weavers cottage is lovely for a wee trip back in time. Getting in and out from Glasgow is ded easy and in fact if your plane lands at Glasgow Airport you are already in Paisley

glasgow
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you buy paisley shawls in Paisley?

Hi there

Im from Paisley. I dont think you can by the shawls anymore but pretty sure there's a display of them in the museum. You should also go to the Abbey - its pretty nice. What kind of food do you like? Theres a lovely place called Raeburns in New Street - nr the town centre. It does traditional Scottish food. Perhaps a little expensive for Paisley but I think its worth it.

Jacq

Lochwinnoch, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you buy paisley shawls in Paisley?

Hi, Twink. I am originally from Paisley myself, and can tell you that there is a traditional ldieswear/menswear shope called Houston's directly opposite the museum and art gallery in Paisly High Street where you should be able to find shawls and other traditional clothing or accessories (I know they are big on kilts etc).

Regarding a charming place to eat, there are several pubs where food is available , I would try paisley's oldest pub in a listed building, The Bull Inn in New Street, near the museum and the rest of the town centre for an everyday pub atmosphere with reasonable food at reasonable prices. For more formal dining and associated upmarket quality and prices try the Glynhill Hotel, a short taxi (estimated fare c.£4) or bus ride away, on the Paisley/Renfrew boundary.

I have to also declare an interest in tempting visitors to visit Lochwinnoch, a village of 2,000 souls only 25 minutes by train from Glasgow (15 mins by car on te M8 /A737). I have a small B&B in a listed building, see www.scotland2000.com/burnfoothouse for info. IN Lochwinnoch you can go rowing, sailing, cycling, birdwatching, hillwalking, golfing or people watching in the cafe or pubs. See www.lochwinnoch.info A warm welcome awaits you.

I hope that's been useful in some small way.

Bonnie Scotland
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you buy paisley shawls in Paisley?

Try here :-

http://shawlz.com/store/index.php?cPath=21

Cheers ;-) Wullie

6. Re: Can you buy paisley shawls in Paisley?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 December 2008, 11:33
7. Re: Can you buy paisley shawls in Paisley?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 05:27