We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I visited Foula

Denmark
Level Contributor
480 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
I visited Foula

Hello and greetings from Denmark

I am writing this time just to tell that I finally visited Foula last week!

I think that the trip (two hours by motor-boat each way) was a very strong experience.

Before disembarking we sailed around the isle with one person who lives there. He told us a lot of useful things but at the end of the day, you have to see it by yourself it to understand how impressing this island is.

…staticflickr.com/2891/9401435047_b8baff31f2…

Foula is very surreal with abandoned houses and cars and machines that probably are too expensive to remove. On the contrary there is a 500.000£ school with 5 pupils for the time being!

If you are interested in birds, sea life, life in general in a very remote place in this world, then this is a necessary addition to your trip to The Shetland Islands.

Good luck!

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I visited Foula

Wow, lucky you!! Some people are Munrobaggers, with me its islands, but have never managed Foula!!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I visited Foula

Hi Oscar. Thanks for reporting back on your trip. I remember you posting about your plan many months ago, and I was extremely envious! Like fusciagirl, I'm also an island bagger, but I have yet to make it to Foula - but I will one day. Well done you for getting there - it sounds fantastic!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I visited Foula

Hi Oscar

Glad you made it. It is an amazing island and worth the effort to get there, beats the rest of Shetland hands down.

Denmark
Level Contributor
480 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I visited Foula

Thanks everybody for your kind comments. I hope that my short review will encourage/inspirate others to take this trip...

Best regards

Oscar

london
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I visited Foula

yes, it's certainly encouraging ... must have been like visiting the edge of the world

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I visited Foula

It sounds wonderful - I would certainly make the effort to visit.

Will your next stop be Rockall, Oscar?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I visited Foula

Thanks for the report. I think the Vikings thought it was the edge of the world for a while... It seems like that when viewed from Shetland!.

8. Re: I visited Foula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Shetland Islands