We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

comparison to Orkney Isles

Kimberley, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
comparison to Orkney Isles

Hi, we are in Orkney Isles for a week - is it worth while travelling to Shetland as well?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,824 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: comparison to Orkney Isles

You don't say how you would intend travelling between Orkney and the Shetlands, but personally having had 4 days on Orkney and found that I wished I'd had longer, I'd say stick with Orkney and enjoy the relaxed vibe while still having plenty of options for things to do.

Of course you've asked this question on the Shetlands forum and I dare say its an equally wonderful place to visit!

What week or month will you be in Orkney?

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,583 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: comparison to Orkney Isles

I think I'd give it a go, just for the experience of flying in a plane that small. Try Loganair, I've seen the planes land on Shetland, they close the road, because the runway intersects the main road.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,791 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: comparison to Orkney Isles

It depends on what you want to see and do on Orkney, but it may be a good split.. I've spent a week on both. Both trips were too short.

Lerwick
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: comparison to Orkney Isles

Could I just say that it's "Shetland", never "The Shetlands".

That's like saying "The Englands" or "Scotlands"!.

Lerwick, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: comparison to Orkney Isles

Don't quite follow the comment about flying in 'a plane that small'. If you fly from Orkney to Shetland you fly in a plane with Flybe livery but operated by Loganair. These seat about 36 (not sure exactly) If you mean the small Islander aircraft operated by Loganair you would be better to stay in Orkney where there are FAR more of these inter-island flights - the Islanders usually carry a maximum of 8 passengers - although there is an additional sea alongside the pilot!

Scalloway, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: comparison to Orkney Isles

Don't waste your time and money.

The journey here is long and hard.

The accoms here are run down and overpriced.

And worse of all, there is nothing to see here anyway. Orkney has much more. Just look at Undiscovered Scotland website and you will know.

What, however, you do get in Shetland is, abuse before you even get here by stinking drunken oilers:

shetlandtimes.co.uk/2014/06/27/passengers-re…

And more abuse from stinking drunken oilers after you get here:

shetlandtimes.co.uk/2014/06/29/police-to-hol…

And finally you will get more abuse from stinking drunken oilers on your journey out of here.

It will be easier and cheaper to just go to Glasgow if you want to be glassed in your eyes.

Scalloway, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: comparison to Orkney Isles

Flights to Shetland are made in SAAB 340s and SAAB 2000s now. At 34 seats and 50 seats, both are hardly small.

shetlandtimes.co.uk/2013/09/25/loganair-adds…

However when full of stinking, drunk oilers, they are small enough.

Lerwick, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: comparison to Orkney Isles

Not sure what alvinlwh has against Shetland. There have been isolated incidents, but his inference is it is happening 100% of the time. I am resident in Shetland and have NEVER seen any of these problems - and his other comments are somewhat biased and misleading - like accommodation run-down and overpriced. Well I have just been stung in the same way in Perth, Edinburgh, Manchester - all accommodation that I did not personally select - there is an element of this everywhere in the country. Do your homework first, read reviews, ask questions, and listen to ALL the replies, not just someone who would appear to have an axe to grind!

Hope you enjoy your holiday Monica, wherever you go!

Scalloway, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: comparison to Orkney Isles

Nothing against Shetland, just pointing out the facts to anyone planning to visit. Yes, anyone can get ripped off anywhere, but in any of the examples you listed, no one will get ripped off by Northlink/Flybe BEFORE they even got there. Unless, of course, they can swim to Shetland.

Nairobi, Kenya
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: comparison to Orkney Isles

Plan to travel to Orkney & Shetlands in August by campervan to see the wildlife. any suggestions ie hire a car & stay in B&Bs instead?

Get answers to your questions about Shetland Islands