We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Uni in Ayr-but should I live there or Glasgow??

Which Ayr hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Westport, Ireland
Level Contributor
100 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Uni in Ayr-but should I live there or Glasgow??

I am moving to Scotland in three weeks to start at the Uni of West Scotland in Ayr, Im really looking forward to it, but I am still considering whether to get a place in Ayr, or live in Glasgow and commute, which from what I recall from the interview day, is about 45mins on the train?? If any of you local experts can let a 27 yr old girl know what living in Ayr is like, that would be great!! Trying to figure out my priorities, rolling outta bed 10 minutes before lectures, or being near the city, with more nightlife..?? Any help would be appreciated, and maybe info on where I should look for accomadation classifieds. Thanks folks!!!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,728 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Uni in Ayr-but should I live there or Glasgow??

You must love commuting to even consider it.

45 minutes would be the travel (train) time, not door to door, which could be nearer 90 minutes each way.

Conversely, If you live in Ayr, you find the centre of Glasgow at weekends is only 45 minutes away for the nightlife!

Depends what your priorities are! :-)

:-) - in case of doubt (as on other posts) I'm trying to be light-hearted.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Uni in Ayr-but should I live there or Glasgow??

Live as close to the Uni as possible especially in your first year. That's where most of the other students will be and it will be a lot more convenient for library etc.

You can always reconsider in 2nd year, or even get a room for a night in Glasgow when you're too tired and emotional to make the last train home

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,784 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Uni in Ayr-but should I live there or Glasgow??

I would definitely say stay in Ayr. Better to get a few hours extra sleep during the week and not have that costly (in money and time) commute to deal with. Not nice in the winter months. There is a lively student scene in Ayr and it will be easier to make friends if you are near the campus (and therefore near the town and its modest nightspots).

Glasgow will indeed be a treat best kept for weekends, but thats just my opinion. I'll try and find out about accommodation, but the Uni shoudl have some info and a quick looke for estate agents and letting agents on yell.com might be a good move.Also if you haven't done so already check out the ugofurther.com ucas student forum/website and find other people in the same boat who may have good advice.

Have fun!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Uni in Ayr-but should I live there or Glasgow??

I know very little of either place, but commuting to Uni this sort fo distance is a mug's game

Live in Ayr, whatever it's like - as said, you will get to know people, where you like and where you don't like, and can change your mind later if necessary. All unis have a pretty good social scene attached to them, although as you'll be older than most students

Living in a city where you don't know anyone, and your social circle is limited because the people you spend your time with are 30 miles away and aren't where you are (and when you're on student money) is likely to be a lonely and depressing experience however good the nightlife may be - if only you had the money and the mates to enjoy it....

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Uni in Ayr-but should I live there or Glasgow??

An Ayr-Glasgow season ticket on the train is £46.90 / 7 days or £180 a month.

That's a sizeable chunk of money to put towards rent on a much nicer flat, or a decent holiday at the end of each term, or alhocol, or textbooks.

Accommodation is probably more expensive in Glasgow too.

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Uni in Ayr-but should I live there or Glasgow??

I'd certainly be looking to stay in Ayr which has a decent nightlife, also on the Ayr to Glasgow corridor you have Prestwick and Kilmarnock, each with a mix of venues.

For accomodation, check out the Ayrshire Post website, even Troon would be a decent place to live with some good flats etc.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,784 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Uni in Ayr-but should I live there or Glasgow??

On the accommodation cost side of things a flat in Ayr is considerably cheaper than a flat in Glasgow, and although you will older than most new students, UWS does tend to attract a good number of more mature entrants.

www.key-lets.co.uk/ayrshire%20properties.htm

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Uni in Ayr-but should I live there or Glasgow??

<<Trying to figure out my priorities, rolling outta bed 10 minutes before lectures, or being near the city, with more nightlife..??>>

Especially in year one I strongly suggest your number one priority should be being very close to the university and where your fellow Ayr students live (Ayr!!) , or you could end up having a very lonely time.

Not to mention the inconvenience, suppose they all decide to go out somewhere in Ayr in the evening, what are you going to go, commute back to Glasgow for an hour or two, and then trek back again, or hang around a deserted campus for hours?

Perhaps, as bobelinks said, in year two when you have some like minded friends, you might decide to go and rent a shared place in Glasgow, though frankly I doubt it, why add a 2 hour commute to your day plus all the extra cost? If you wanted to be in Glasgow all the time you should have picked a Glasgow uni.

<<maybe info on where I should look for accomadation classifieds.>>

Does Ayr Uni not have an accommodations office?

Westport, Ireland
Level Contributor
100 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Uni in Ayr-but should I live there or Glasgow??

You guys are all wonderful, thats my mind made up then!! I kinda started to think along those lines alright, butjust needed a few sane minds to give me the kick in the behind to be sensible!!! I have booked into the Altamont B&B for the first two nights there, and hopefully will find someone to flatshare with. If I may be so bold, if any of you guys know of any particular areas I should look out for/avoid in my search, that would be great!!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my ridiculous question, it has been very helpful!!! And SO quick!!

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Uni in Ayr-but should I live there or Glasgow??

At 27 years of age I would consider you to be a woman, not a girl. As a mature woman one would think that school would be of the greater importance.