We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Uni in Ayr-but should I live there or Glasgow??

Which Ayr hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Westport, Ireland
Level Contributor
100 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Uni in Ayr-but should I live there or Glasgow??

I am moving to Scotland in three weeks to start at the Uni of West Scotland in Ayr, Im really looking forward to it, but I am still considering whether to get a place in Ayr, or live in Glasgow and commute, which from what I recall from the interview day, is about 45mins on the train?? If any of you local experts can let a 27 yr old girl know what living in Ayr is like, that would be great!! Trying to figure out my priorities, rolling outta bed 10 minutes before lectures, or being near the city, with more nightlife..?? Any help would be appreciated, and maybe info on where I should look for accomadation classifieds. Thanks folks!!!

Westport, Ireland
Level Contributor
100 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Going to Uni in Ayr-but should I live there or Glasgow??

Yes, college is important, and the fact I am returning at 27 should be testament to that, but Glasgow being a big city would ave offered more opportunities for part-time jobs as well as nights out, but I realised the folly of that decision, as expressed in my previous post, but thanks for your input!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,760 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Going to Uni in Ayr-but should I live there or Glasgow??

Jobs are a tough ask anywhere right now. That said there have been quite a few advertised in the last couple of weeks primarily in the hospitality sector.

As for areas to avoid, from a practical point of view its best to stay near the uni, but feel free to post here when you find anything interesting and want an opinion on the location.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,760 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Going to Uni in Ayr-but should I live there or Glasgow??

Oh and this one's for Dodger; gotta ask, but of all the forums in all the world what brings you to this one?

Just curious.

sunny glasgow
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Going to Uni in Ayr-but should I live there or Glasgow??

Hi Snappychick,

Along with the advantages of being near your campus and having access to some really lovely beaches in Ayr you will also be very close to Prestwick Airport for any cheap flight deals that you might want to take.

Student pennies are worth counting.

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Going to Uni in Ayr-but should I live there or Glasgow??

Purple celtic. I respond to be helpful with travel questions and to give my opinion, when asked, on social issues.

I will restrict myself to travel questions.

16. Re: Going to Uni in Ayr-but should I live there or Glasgow??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2010, 06:19