We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ayr at Christmas - What should we expect? Suggestions?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
241 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Ayr at Christmas - What should we expect? Suggestions?

Hello,

We will be visiting Scotland for the first time. My daughter is living in Bath and has invited us for Christmas. We now have an exchange (timeshare) in Arye to provide some travel for all.

I would truly appreciate any suggestions of things to do in the area as well as day trips that are feasible at that time of the year.

Thank you so much.

AYR, SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Ayr at Christmas - What should we expect? Suggestions?

Yes lots of restaurants open on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day but you would want to book in advance as they get very busy. Let us know what sort of food you will be looking for and we will recommend!

You def want to hire a car as (as already been advised) where you are going is not the easiest place to travel from/to - especially at Christmas when public transport is not at its best!!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
241 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ayr at Christmas - What should we expect? Suggestions?

Thank you again!

We will be hiring a car... but, not exactly sure how we are going to get from Bath to Ayr (near Dailly actually). We would like to take a train or fly (closer) and then rent the car.

The 24th is my husband's birthday as well! So we have much to celebrate. Very glad to learn that restuarants or pubs will be open!

Scotland
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Ayr at Christmas - What should we expect? Suggestions?

Hi,

You were asking about restaurants. For good places in the Dailly area I would suggest you try Wildings (great seafood) in the little village of Maidens. Maidens is located between Turnberry and Culzean. There are some country lanes that cross over the hills between Dailly and Turnberry.

You should also try Souter Johnnie's Inn at nearby Kirkoswald. This is a hotel that has recently undergone major refurbishment and now has an attractive thatched roof.

Souter Johnnie was one of the characters featured in Robert Burns famous poem "Tam o'Shanter". You can still see Souter Johnnie's thatch roof cottage in Kirkoswald, but the rest of the village is not quite so pretty.

For a nice little village with a wee pub, I would recommend that you go to Straiton. This is a conservation village with a small, but historical church. The pub is called the Black Bull and it is a simple affair catering for the locals.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ayr at Christmas - What should we expect? Suggestions?

At long last Wildings Hotel and Restaurant in Maidens (Just south of Culzean Castle and next to Turnberry) have got their website back up and running. The food there is fabulous, but as a result even a quiet weekday lunchtime sees the place full of diners. It's most certainly not too soon make booking enquiries for the Christmas period:

http://wildingshotel.com/restaurant.php

It's perfectly located alongside a sandy beach - ideal for walking off a three course lunch!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,919 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Ayr at Christmas - What should we expect? Suggestions?

I'd say the drive is quite straightforward.

Head up the motorway system - M4/M5, then M6, for an easy if dull cruise for 300 miles.

Then when across the border, there are a number of A roads that will take you the last 40 miles of so.

Your main issue will be that it gets dark around 4pm, so you may want to break the journey in the lovely Lake District, just south of Carlisle, and finish it in daylight.

For driving directions -

www.viamichelin.com

www.theaa.com

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Ayr at Christmas - What should we expect? Suggestions?

Hi, I'm not clear on your length of stay, but the larger towns of Ayr and Kilmarnock will have pantomimes on, and street acts on the weekends leading up to Christmas(not as good as Grassington but there will still be a buzz about town) as well as decent Christmas Lights.

Most churches will also have a christmas eve carol service although some hold this early evening as opposed to 11.30 pm.

A further option of eating out, in maidens, is Mallin Court.

Ayr
Level Contributor
379 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Ayr at Christmas - What should we expect? Suggestions?

We had a big family party at Malin Court last year and the food was wonderful - hadn't been there since my old pal Mr Hodge built the place in the 70s.... but it was excellent. One little snag - has anyone tried to cross these "little country lanes" from Dailly to the coast during the winter. It's not much fun, and in fact it's nearer to being absolutely awful !!

Scotland
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Ayr at Christmas - What should we expect? Suggestions?

That part of Ayrshire is so close to the coast that it hardly ever gets snow, so those country lanes shouldn't be much worse in winter than they are in Autumn, or Summer for that matter LOL!!!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
241 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Ayr at Christmas - What should we expect? Suggestions?

We will be in the area from early on 24 Dec until 30 Dec. So, we do hope to enjoy the area and take side trips as well.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
241 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Ayr at Christmas - What should we expect? Suggestions?

Another questions about the week of Christmas...

Boxing Day (26th) -- what should we anticipate for this holiday?

Will stores and tours be open?

Are there events that we should be sure to see?

Thank YOU!